Wow Thanks so much. Your points are exactly the kind of thing i am looking. People who know what they're talking about. Ok so bear with me, i am going to try to address your questions because these are definitely things i need to learn more about. Also it would probably be helpful to know that I used Photoshop C.C

1) the surface being embossed both towards and away. Not really sure how that impression could have been done, since the beveling was in one direction from the North west if I recall correctly and then the layer was duplicated and i never messed with directionality on that afterwards. I will, of course go back and double check just to make sure.
2) Land masses have no shadow on the south side. Yes, that is definitely a concern. I believe I had that at one point and may have gone in and accidentally deleted those layers. I ended up with over 135 layers at one point and it all got really tangled up and messy. That is something I will definitely go back in and try to figure out as well.
3) the rosettes and the central rosette. Ummmmm i have no idea what you mean here. I'm sorry. did i mention i'm not good at this? I'm trying to learn but there is still SO MUCH i have no idea about yet. Is the lighting directionality wrong? or the embossing? Or am i completely missing it altogether?
4) the lettering indentions. I had quite a problem with this. the spacing and placement were a huge pain and finally i got most of the effect i was going for, even just admitting defeat when i couldn't quite get all the lettering perfectly within the border. In the end i decided i kind of liked it that way anyway and let it go, but it still catches my eye and irritates me when i see it. As for the lighting how does one light appropriately for indentions? Is there an indention lighting standard i am not aware of? followed by should i warp the swirly pattern? hmmmm i will mess with that as well and see.
5) Reith Internal coloring, so i used the Trojan Color font for this and did the outer effects, but i left the inner effects they are in the font as it came. Again, not sure how the lighting is supposed to be. I should admit that lighting and shadows is one of the things i have had and continue to have the hardest issues with. Grasping the appropriate placement and usage. I have watched countless tutorials and videos for many programs and just art in general, but it's like my brain doesn't get it.
6) Sea texture. Yeah, i messed with that a little and couldn't come up with anything i liked. i'm a little iffy on that as well. I completely 100% agree with you on that.

I am really really happy that you like it even a little, i actually went squealing through my house with happiness. I think that the stuff you are picking at that you are seeing that doesn't make sense to you is the same as when a martial arts master spars for the first time with a complete novice. Confusion because the kid doesn't know enough about what they are doing to know what is acceptable and not acceptable, and as a master in the art form you have no idea what they are doing or why.