Thread: Eoberath WIP

Help Eoberath WIP

Hello All!

I've started over a few times on a map I had been working on and I've come now to this version...I'm having a hard time getting the labels to look good, would love some help with that, and as well just general comments and critiques are always much appreciated. This is a world map, each square with sides measuring about 1000 miles. Thanks everyone!!

AClick image for larger version. 

Name:	EoberathBig.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	6.77 MB 
ID:	102188

Ooh, now this looks fantastic. I love the parchment background, graceful lettering style (especially on the map title), and the pastel color scheme. If I had one complaint about the map, I'd say that the lettering can be a little bit faint and hard to read sometimes- such as on that island in the very center of the map. Overall this looks great, and I can't wait to see it with more details!

Yes, beautiful. However, unless it's a flat world the squares cannot all be 1000 miles. They would work as lines of latitude and longitude on an equirectangular map, but they can't be the same size. When you project it onto a sphere those vertical lines will converge at the poles. Get GProjector- it's freeware- and load your map into it to see what I mean. And the Wikipedia page on map projections is helpful.

You could say that the boxes are 1000 miles at the equator, though.
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-12-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiluchi View Post
    Ooh, now this looks fantastic. I love the parchment background, graceful lettering style (especially on the map title), and the pastel color scheme. If I had one complaint about the map, I'd say that the lettering can be a little bit faint and hard to read sometimes- such as on that island in the very center of the map. Overall this looks great, and I can't wait to see it with more details!
    Thanks!! Yes, agreed, I'll see what I can do about making it more visible. I'm having a hard time just based on the size of the map itself, and the constraints of land size. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by acrsome View Post
    Yes, beautiful. However, unless it's a flat world the squares cannot all be 1000 miles. They would work as lines of latitude and longitude on an equirectangular map, but they can't be the same size. When you project it onto a sphere those vertical lines will converge at the poles. Get GProjector- it's freeware- and load your map into it to see what I mean. And the Wikipedia page on map projections is helpful.

You could say that the boxes are 1000 miles at the equator, though.
    Ah! Of course! I did download the G.Projector and got things to where I wanted them to be. Great tool! Yes, so I guess with equirectangular maps it becomes quite difficult to show scale...I'll have to wrap my head around showing latitudes and longitudes or something! Thanks very much!

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Very nice, even though the lines of longitude and latitute resemble a schoolbook for me (no offense here) it works and gives a special atmosphere to this map. Good job and go on

Quote Originally Posted by Aerlinon View Post
    Ah! Of course! I did download the G.Projector and got things to where I wanted them to be. Great tool! Yes, so I guess with equirectangular maps it becomes quite difficult to show scale...I'll have to wrap my head around showing latitudes and longitudes or something! Thanks very much!
    You can google formulas that will let you calculate the distance that a degree of latitude equates to at a given latitude. Then just divide by the number of pixels. That'll be close enough for regional maps. But making a scale that's valid for an entire equirectangular map? Yes, not really possible. Better to think in latitude and longitude.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	7.50 MB 
ID:	102197

Updated version! put some more labels on Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	7.50 MB 
ID:	102197

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EoberathBigForGuild.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	6.76 MB 
ID:	102205

Probably the final version for at least a little while, thanks for all the help everyone!
    played around with the climates of the different countries, make it more realistic, but obviously it being a fantasy world I wasnt too hung up on it adjusted the contrast as well as some of the font colours, tried to make some of those harder to see things pop...lost some of the softness of the map, but I think I gained a cool worn and heavily used feel.

As always, would love any thoughts!!