Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: December 2017 Challenge: Dragoton Arena

Map December 2017 Challenge: Dragoton Arena

Hey

So, I am kind of new here, but I really, really wanted to participate in this. So my map is the map of an arena of a sport called Dragoton (which is a thing in my own fantasy World Malpirgin), in which there are two teams consisting each of three dragons and their riders competing against each other. It's a team sport.
    Now, you could suggest well they are kind of "fighting" in a sportive way, but this has really been an effort to live together peacefully and become one people. You see, the dragons (feathered ones only btw) are in a way refugees - a few hundred years back there was an attempted genocide against them, commited by the angelic society, and the dragons found out that whilst they were long-living and rather powerful, they were not unbeateable. The place they fled to, Malpirgin, was an extremely secure place, but the people up there were rather suspicious about having powerful, sentient, flying and especially fire-breathing beasts hanging around them - especially considering that their main source of energy, the one thing that kept them hanging on - was a tree and thereby all but fire-proof.
    So in an attempt to bring dragons and humans closer together, the sport "Dragoton" was invented, and it's as a matter of fact one of the main reasons why by now there is a close blond between the dragons and humans in Malpirgin and the dragons are - whilst still prefering
    to live outside of human cities just because of their size - completely integrated into society.

So this is the current WIP, I am sorry about the low quality. It's a pencil on paper so the photo doesn't show it all too well... and I don't have a scan yet. I am planning to ink it and color it with waterpencils. Hope you like it anyway.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pencil_Sketch_Dragoton_Arena.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	102509
    Last edited by ZoraSpringer; 12-23-2017 at 06:48 PM.

What an imaginative idea!

Looking forward to this

Thank you I am now starting to ink it I am looking forward to finishing it as well

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very good idea !
    I like it when people with a whole universe built show us part of it, with explanations and stories !
    I wonder how big would be the whole atlas of Malpirgin... How far did you go on the construction of your world ?
    Looking forward to see the next WIP !

Hey Glad you like it so far!
    I actually have two characters fleshed out, who are dragoton players. Jacob Hayes and Celdrag. That's not the dragon on the map though. It's the (still unnamed - shame on me) dragon that invented that game together with his human friend. They are kind of legendary in that sport for good reason.
    Malpirgin, in a matter of space is actually not that big. Around 10 000 square miles. I actually did a map of it, but it was my first map, so it's not very good (the grey blobs are cities - some of them are underwater). The whole thing is on top of a cloud and centered around the so called Soul Tree, which is the energetic, political, cultural and geographical center of it all. Fleshed out I've got Ashem, which is the city in the tree-tops. Don't have city-maps for the rest yet. I do have bits and pieces about the history, about the politics, about the biology, about sports and culture. I don't have everything - I don't think you can ever have everything, but I do have quite a bit of it. This is the world map that I think I will re-do in color... but it's nothing urgent, so... it can wait.

Name:	Malpirgin_Weltkarte_Klein.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	102522

Hey Zora

You really do have quite an imagination!

Just a note about WIP tags here:

I just noticed you have typed the WIP tag wrong. There should be a space between the hashes and the words, or the thumbnail scraper won't pick up your image and enter it into the Challenge album.

Its a lot easier if you just hit the WIP button in the tools at the top of the comment as you write it. Its second to the end

You need to edit your first comment and replace the WIP tag thing that you typed with the automatic one - just to be sure of getting it right.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

You sure have spent a lot of time building this world, and as far as I can see, with a lot of interesting a new ideas..
    Looking forward to discover more of it in the guild !

@Mouse: Thanks! I didn't realize there was a button :O I am going to use that a lot now I think hahaha

It's getting late here. I think imma stop this for now. Hopefully I'll have it fully inked tomorrow then I'll go for another update Bit scared of the net though (the playing ground is over water, so if dragon and/or rider fall, they won't hit the ground, and there is a net underwater, so they can pull them out and there is no unconcious dragons or humans drowning (dragons are a bit heavy to be rescued otherwise ^^).

And I am sure going to share more - as it's going to get drawn I think I might use the challenges a lot to pick up different parts of that world and map them out Kind of as a "kick in the ass" go focus on my own projects, as well. xD
    Last edited by ZoraSpringer; 12-23-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Cool idea, Zora and your sketch looks really promising! Looking forwards to seeing the inked version!

Thanks, Greg! Glad you like it so far! And I'm finally done with the inking now too Still not very high quality, but well... Hope you like so far

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Brigg_Arena_Inked.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	528.1 KB 
ID:	102698

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast