Thread: Old Under the Modern

Wip Old Under the Modern

This is part of an attempt to create the history of one of my city maps by exploring what was there before the modern city was built. There are several stories I wrote about this, but they are very long. The maps are finished in their digital form, because hand drawn maps are planned for at some point. This is only a guide and suggestions of where ruins would be under the city I have drawn a few years ago.

This is a close up of the map, showing the downtown of my Shikodu Map, which I've shown a long time ago. I'm not sure how to find my old threads.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shikodu - archeology.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	295.4 KB 
ID:	102775

The full map is here showing all the ruined villages under the new city.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shikodu - Mekenia Temples FB.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	102776

The back story for this map is that the red represents elven cities and farms with all the religious and majors highlighted. The elven civilization was invaded by a race called the Rokat that built the city marked in black. The map is supposed to mark where relics and magical items might be found under the modern buildings of the Rokat city. The Rokat city of Shikodu is a university town, like a massive Hogsmead and Hogworts would be if they were set in Victorian Era with 120,000 residents. The lore of the area shows that the land beneath the city has magic in it and a lost civilization buried beneath the modern streets. The stories I have written deal with epic battles starting with the destruction of the Elven City of Mekenia and the construction of Shikodu by the Rokat. Later chapters deal with wars the Elves wage against the Rokat to retake and destroy Shikodu, but in then end fail. The city in the end is a prosperous university city with little to no social memories of the events that created their city. I can post the stories at a later date.

Very interesting idea and great execution of it, I love the background story and the concept

Thanks, this has been a long term project since this is a major location in my stories and books. I have been writing for 17 years and have a huge world which has bearly been mapped in any real detail. I hope to at least get some of the major downtowns and stuff done.