Thread: Greetings

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Greetings

I’m neither a cartographer nor an artist, but I find myself drawn to the art of map-making. I particularly like early maps of the New World but imaginary maps also intrigue me. As a kid I remember being fascinated with A. A. Milne’s map of “Hundred Acre Wood,” and I would immerse myself in the road maps my parents would pick up from gas stations during summer vacations.

I have been using Photoshop forever and am somewhat familiar with Illustrator. And since I’m also a history buff, I was thinking of posting some animated and/or interactive maps, historical and imaginary, online. Can’t anything be mapped? I’m not even yet sure how I’m going to do this—I suppose at one time I would have used Adobe Flash, but now I’m thinking of HTML 5, though I’m considering other options.

Years ago, I remember seeing a documentary on cartography, at the end of which someone read Elizabeth Bishop’s poem: “The Map”; here are the first four lines:

Land lies in water; it is shadowed green.
    Shadows, or are they shallows, at its edges
    showing the line of long sea-weeded ledges
    where weeds hang to the simple blue from green.

Chris

I'd really like to see what you come up with as far as making maps interactive. I've tried to do a simple version of that kind of thing on a website before.
    Collaborative Storytelling and Worldbuilding
    Freeform fantasy and sci-fi
    www.LostPathway.com

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Interactive Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Naen View Post
    I'd really like to see what you come up with as far as making maps interactive. I've tried to do a simple version of that kind of thing on a website before.
    Having spent quite a few years developing websites (though a while back), I would think using layers and JavaScript would be the simplest way to accomplish that. And from what little I've read HTML 5 does a great job of using CSS and JavaScript to animate.