Thread: Hiking in Slovakia - my travel map

Guild Apprentice

Map Hiking in Slovakia - my travel map

There is only one reason why I spend weeks on this forum learning to draw maps. My travels. So I would like to thank all of you for inspiration and tutorials.

At the end of the year I remember this year's wanderings and I draw their maps for the preservation of memories (and after printing maps look cool on the wall above my desk).

So I present a map of my wandering in Slovakia. I could use some feedback. Please feel free to critique

Attachment 102818

Made in Photoshop & Wacom Bamboo3 Pen&Touch
    Last edited by Qmoh; 12-31-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Error in year date ;/

Nice idea! I like the composition and general view.

Interesting.

What are the Slovakian laws regarding hiking? Is it "right to roam" like Britain, or very constrained like Germany?
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
    What are the Slovakian laws regarding hiking? Is it "right to roam" like Britain, or very constrained like Germany?

Slovaks are very friendly to travelers and hospitable. I did not have any problem with setting up the tent on the trail.

By the way: in Germany I traveled with a tent more than 3,000 kilometers and I also never had any problems - I set up a tent by the trail, sometimes in the middle of a village, and the locals were very understanding and hospitable When you tell the Germans that you are walking on foot through their Heimat (homeland) because it's beautiful, they become very friendly. Same in France and Czech.

What a cool idea!

The elevation markings are a bit too blurry for my taste, but other than that, it looks good. The photos are a nice touch! Seems like nice trip.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks Kelleri.

About elevation markings: I have to work on it to find my style.

I don't like sharpen one - they look good up close, but when the map hangs on the wall and you watch it from 2 meters, too much detail causes visual chaos in my opinion.

On the other hand, many people tell me that there is too much blur. Therefore, I need to find a compromise.

Well composed and drawn. An attractive map all round

One thing I would love to see is the names of the other people who have become part of your story - maybe as captions on the photos?

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    One thing I would love to see is the names of the other people who have become part of your story - maybe as captions on the photos?
    I thought about it, but I did not really know how to put it on the map. Maybe the photographs should have a number and short, one-sentence stories from the side in the frame? I will try to do it in the next map.

You could do it a number of different ways, but yes, that would be good - as long as it didn't make anything look too cramped

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Great map!