Thread: Slum Apartments

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Slum Apartments

Worked this map up to cover the cramped style of project housing for low lifestyles in my shadow run game. Cramped hallways, tiny 1 room dwellings with identical layouts. I could have done more with the decorating of the hallways with refuse, graffiti and what not but I was looking for a generic reusable map for combats. I should have busted up the lighting effect more, leaving areas darker and without light but I can always go back to my layered image and correct that. I'm wondering if there is a better way to show the light effects, currently I add a layer of darkness then delete central point where the light will go. After this I add a light layer on top with a solid light in the hole i created in the dark layer and then a larger light halo that blends. I think it looks good but I am always open for suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Habzone Low life dwelling Flat with light.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	421.3 KB 
ID:	103115  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey, it looks like my apartment complex!

Overall I like it, but you're right, I would vary the lighting FX a little more. Also like the idea of adding in refuse, etc, but it's easy to overdo that. You could put a wino in a corner. Maybe vary the stains on the mattresses a little; right now they're all identical and your eye immediately goes to it.

Couple questions: I'm guessing those maroon-floored spaces are storage units, but what is the space immediately adjacent to them? A boiler room or something? How is it accessed?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

The maroon spaces are supposed to be the elevators. Probably need to find a way to make that more apparent. Yeah the room was built initially and then duplicated, hence the identical bed stains. I could have added those in a separate effect layer. The machine rooms are for pipies and bits related to the utilities or elevators. I was intending on them only having direct access from the ground and top floor with players who are clever or desperate enough able to break through the wall to gain access, maybe have the runner rent the adjacent unit to them and install a hidden bolt hold to allow a quick exit. Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Brombur; 01-07-2018 at 05:27 PM.