Thread: Anyone know of a good way to learn gimp?

Question Anyone know of a good way to learn gimp?

Hey guys

I'm a pretty new cartographer here. I've been using gimp so far - and I enjoy it - but all I'm doing in the tutorial is following step by step directions without really understanding the reasoning behind them. I'm worried that will come back to bite me when I want to create more intricate and unique maps. Anyone have suggestions of good tutorials or guides that look at drawing with gimp in a more in-depth way?

thanks!

I'm also pretty new, but I've done a fair bit of learning recently so how I went about it is rather fresh in my mind, and my preferred tool for digital artsy things in general has been GIMP all the way. So I'll share my thoughts!

I tend to learn best by doing when it comes to creative ventures. When it comes to large-scale maps I still mostly follow tutorials, but various techniques used therein have become more and more familiar to me and I'm starting to wander off the beaten path a little bit more here and there to try and get the sort of effects I want. And overall I would say I have been gaining some real understanding of the reasoning behind some of the methods used. So if the creative juices keep flowing you might not worry too much about haring close to the tutorials for a little while - try multiple different methods, in different styles. A lot of my learning has been in the process of working through two major tutorials on this site (one of which might be the one you're referring to, were I to guess):

Thread for hand-drawn style maps in GIMP by Gidde
    Thread for regional maps in GIMP by RobA

While they are tutorials you can follow step-by-step to a result, as you get more familiar with those steps you can start to fiddle with the pieces more and more comfortably (at least that was my experience). For example, one map I was following Gidde's hand-drawn map tutorial to make was of an area that had a swampy wetland region and a red-clay mesa/plateau kind of region that I wanted to give appropriate colors to. Gidde's tutorial only discusses coloring explicitly for seas/lakes, rivers, mountains, hills and forests, so I needed to experiment. The tutorial used three different general methods for those colors (the seas/lakes and rivers, the mountains and hills, and the forests), using different base tools, filters, and layer blend modes to achieve the effects, so first I tried to make the colors for my additional regions using those three basic methods with different color values but also toyed around with other blend modes, for instance, to try to get an interesting effect. All of that served as a learning experience that gave me more tools to consider applying in future works.

Every thing I did gave me a little bit more knowledge with what this and then that small piece of GIMP's broad tools and capabilities did, although I did a bunch of other small things, like trying to throw together impromptu battle maps, which also gave me opportunities to use what I'd learned so far as well as reasons to attempt something new and see what worked and what didn't. If you learn in a similar experiential/experimental manner then just trying to make lots of different maps can slowly broaden your actual understanding - even if you just follow a bunch of tutorials, the commonalities and differences between them may start to illuminate understanding. It also helps to be unafraid to look up 'how do I do X' if there's some other thing X you want that a tutorial doesn't cover for what you're working on. For example, referring to Gidde's tutorial again, on one of my early maps I wanted to use brushes for mountains but wanted to draw the mountains myself rather than using a supplied brush, so I looked up how to create those multi-element randomized brushes in GIMP and learned how to make my own brushes for placing mountains, hills and trees.

That said, I'm sure there are more 'fundamental' resources out there - one I might recommend that I noticed here was a thread on layer masks; I've found layer masks to be a super useful tool in general for trying to make all manner of things look nice in GIMP, enough that I'd probably consider them of fundamental importance, but they weren't an immediately obvious feature to me at all when I first started out.

Layer Masks explanations by jfrazierjr

Finally, I guess to sum up what I've said above in brief: don't overlook the value of just gaining experience. You'll probably pick up more than you realize by just doing lots of different things - even if at first those lots of different things are just following different tutorials to make one thing or another in GIMP. One tutorial might have you use the 'stroke selection' utility, which is a tool you can do a lot with in many settings; another might showcase a few useful properties of certain blend modes. If you have things you want to make, that can give you direction, and if you have clear ideas that direction may lead off the beaten path in a few places while following a tutorial that otherwise guides you through. Those moments are great times to experiment because it can be a small, contained case of 'how do I get this effect that I want using these tools' without being so broad you get lost in the weeds while fiddling with different ideas of how to accomplish it.

I hope that is somewhat helpful - I know I was a bit short on having actual fundamentals tutorials on hand to share, although I know they're out there (here and elsewhere) if you go looking - I just wanted to point out that there's still a lot to be gained from the step-by-step tutorials, as I tend to find the 'start from the very basics' expositions to not be very compelling as compared to something that gives more opportunity to use what knowledge I find.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Learning to master a graphics program is a very gradual process.
    When following a tutorial it's always good to try and understand WHAT each step does to the pixels of your work. Try to understand the PRINCIPLES of how to achieve something, not (only) the mechanics of the program.

Try to thoroughly understand blend modes first and foremost. They're the bread and butter.
    Also layer masks and adjustment layers (or is that just a PS thing?)

Sent using Tapatalk.

Layer masks are crucial. If you don't bother learning how to use them you aren't using half the power available to you in GIMP

Just keep trying each new tutorial you like the look of, and you will be surprised how much you absorb, and which suddenly comes back to you when you are doing your own thing in the future.

Olvyr is right. Learning any graphics app is a gradual process. You have to be patient with yourself, and not expect to fly before you can walk

Instead, concentrate on enjoying the little discoveries along the way during the learning process.

And don't think that the learning suddenly stops at some point. It doesn't. You just keep learning more and more as time goes by, and as you also learn to apply what you know to different situations - creating your own style and techniques along the way.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I tried gimp but the software ran poorly and when I attempted to move objects around the canvas it lagged and skipped making any precision work impossible. I have good specs on my pc and run Pixlr without issue. Anyone take a guess on why GIMP ran so bad?

Could it be the OS?

I have a very average and increasingly limited laptop (thanks to a certain compatibility issue with Win 10 in its current build). The largest files I can create in GIMP these days on Win 10 are only about 5000 pi square.

Meanwhile, when I log into my Linux partition I can create GIMP files that are up to 10,000 pi square, and they function faster than the 5000 pi files do on Win 10. In fact, GIMP runs like a dream on Linux.

Someone told me not so long ago that this might be down to the fact that GIMP was originally written on and for Linux. I don't know if that's true or not, but it makes sense according to what I've seen for myself.

What do you run yours on, Brombur?

Does it lag when you are doing other things / using other tools?

It could be a magnetism option turned on maybe? (I'm not even sure Gimp has that)

Blog Entries

i have been using Gimp since 2000/2001

so use is the best for learning to use the tool

as to your issues i am betting it is your operating system
    Microsoft these days is unusable and nothing runs well on it

one main problem on MS Windows is the background services that you can NOT disable
    and some that you can but are turned on by default

do a bit of research on "speeding up windows 10 "

they are some things you can do , but not much , 7 really was the last that you could

a 8192x8192 pixel image is small for me and i have zero issues on OpenSUSE with only 8 gig ram and a AMD i5 CPU ( 4 cores single thread)
    a 16384 x 16384 image is a little slow after a bit
    a 32768x32768 px image dose lag but usable

normally i crop out a section that is 4096x4096 and work on that part

as to books

DO NOT buy any old ones !!!!
    gimp is under a MAJOR rewrite and the differences in Gimp 2.6 and 2.8 are MAJOR

one GREAT thing about "The Gimp " is the documentation ! it is VAST
    start here
    https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

windows 10 pc, with decent graphics card. I game a lot and have no issues. maybe I got a corrupted download or other issue. I may try again because Pixlr is nice there are several tools that are lacking, primarily the ability to lay a grid over your work. I had to make a png file o a grid to use. total pain.