Hello,

I'm StillnessTolls, but I go by Stillness. This is my first day as a member of the Cartographers' Guild. I've used the site before, to look at tutorials. However, I'd like to do more than that this year.
I'm interested in map making, and I've been world building for a few years now (though often I feel those projects get set aside for more important aspects of my life like school, and work). I'm in my second term of College now, and I just started my first online Writing course, and I told my instructor that I enjoy writing short stories and this year I'm thinking about writing a novel. She suggested I join NanoWriMo this year, so I think I will. However, any great story starts with great settings. I've already started drawing an outline of the map I would like to put together, but I don't have the techniques down that I would like to use, yet. Here I'm hoping to learn more about drawing top-down or satellite view maps.
My landscapes are dominated by huge forests and mountain ridges, brimming full of rivers the scale of Yukon River or the Amazon. I want to understand how to better draw forests and mountains of this scale for my map. I'm hoping you'll be able to help. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

StillnessTolls