Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swamp village

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Right now I'd just make the wood lighter, more light gray-brown rather than this dark black-brown. But we'll have to see how this progresses to be sure.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Okay, i lightenned the map up. I tried to get rid of the fish-eye look, i pimped the water lily's, i added some green to the water. Thanks for the tips!

Also i added the basic structures, four guard towers and twelve houses. The houses hold about 2 to 5 tribe members.

I'm trying to get the thatched houses to fit in more. Any advice on that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bearclaw3.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	9540  

I'm liking it. Looks good when it's a bit lighter.
    I suppose the jungle comes next? You can't have a swamp without a bunch of rotting old trees..
    Getting the houses to fit... Try giving the ground around them a different texture, the inhabitants will wear away the plants around the entrances and making paths and open areas.. that might make it better.
    I think you could do with some fireplaces around the village too..

This is turning into a sweet map, can't wait to see the final result.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks for the compliment gandwarf.

I've added some junge, a road at the entrance, a different texture under the houses (still needs some tweaking i think).

@Hoel, i'm trying to create some rotten trees but i really can't seem to get it to work. Got any tips for that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bearclaw4.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	9557  

I think you should go with individual trees here. The scale suggests you should be able to make out atleast the top layer of trees. My first suggestion would be going to the dundjinnu forum and pick up a bunch of trees and just paste them in.
    My second suggestion would be drawing a dozen or so trees by hand, but it's much easier to use something someone else has already done.
    Third suggestion would be cutting a piece from a aerial photo...
    Don't forget old logs in the water..
    Btw, I meant to ask before. How did you do those nice platforms? Hand drawn?

Looks great - I can't wait to see what it looks like completed. In addition to the Dundjinni forums, you could grab some trees from RPGMapShare. I found tree stumps and logs for the water at this Dundjinni thread.

I think the main thing buggin my eyes is that the water looks more stoney than the land does. To do a quick fix on that I'd add a color overlay of something dark teal to give it more of a water feel; then play with the opacity or blend mode to let some of the stone peek through. The huts look sort of rainbow-like in that they seem to have numerous pale colors; the overall texture looks great but the colors look a bit odd...again a color overlay of tan should help. Overall, it looks pretty cool just needs 2 tweaks (IMO).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

@Kihmbar, thanks!
    @Hoel, the platforms are made from a texture, then i added some lines and details myself, and cut them out roughly
    @Ascension, Do you mean the green foamy/swampy water or the blue/black spots that peek trough?

Oh, I didn't even notice the black spots.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast