Thread: WIP : Hexographer to hand-drawn

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Default WIP : Hexographer to hand-drawn

For some time now I've been toying with the idea of creating a small setting for a "hexcrawl / wilderness exploration" campaign for my D&D group.

I came up with a regional map in Hexographer (each hex being 6 miles), and while I really like the output of that program, I also wanted to try my hand at something different. I've never tried hand-drawing an entire map, so I grabbed some vellum and started tracing the basic shapes.
    I then tried to draw the map in a style which can only be described a "trial-and-error" I really like the simplicity and beauty of certain hand-drawn maps, but I want to come up with my own style in the end. I'm quite fond of my hills, but I'm not sure about the mountains yet. I'd like them more realistic, tbh.

Anyway, what I ultimately want to do is scan this in, and colorize it in PS as if it were done in watercolor on old parchment.

Please note that the map isn't "seeded" yet, it has no towns, cities, or other POIs yet. I'll add those later along the way.

Comments and critique (concerning the hexmap, but certainly also concerning the drawing) are highly encouraged.

Sent using Tapatalk.

It looks great! I like your mountains very much.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

By the way here's how the map started out: colored pens on blank hexpaper.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Well of course I prefer the hand drawn versions.... The hills are great, and although you are doubting them, your mountains are fantastic! I am also quite fond of your marshes/bogs/swamps.....not sure exactly what to call them but there are 3 sections of them, colored in a bluish/greenish type hue in the last picture. I'm in constant search of terrain and sea textures, so I appreciate how they look. Cheers!
    ~ whisper

Your forested areas are quite nice too, without looking too "busy".
    ~ whisper

You maintain and hills look great!