Thread: WIP - First Map, looking for ideas

Wip WIP - First Map, looking for ideas

Attached is my first attempt at map drawing from my sketch book. I'm mainly using this as technique practice and making it up as I go. Later I think I'll do a zoomed out version with a coastline. Right now I'm having trouble coming up with different land formations to add. I want to add something other than forest between the mountains on the left side, but I'm not sure what would realistically go there. Does anyone have a good technique for drawing hills and plains? Everything I've tried so far looks corny or doesn't seem to match the rest of the map. I've also tried to put cities (*) in places that seemed geographically relevant. I'd appreciate ant advice, critique, or ideas you have to offer. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Map.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	103473  
    Last edited by MatchGame; 01-17-2018 at 03:31 PM.

I wish I could help more but I'm still learning myself, I did find this image a while back that might be helpful to you though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1435720167466.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	103486

Thank you very much!

Like Machinecode said, I'm still learning too, but if you just type into google, "fantasy map elements" and go to images, you will get tons of inspiration. Maybe you could put a waterfall there?

~whisper

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Great looking place you're building! As to what goes next… hills fit in next to mountains, and that wonderful image (one I've got stored somewhere too) from Machinecode has some good ideas to start. One thing you might try is to add a bit more mountainous terrain alongside what you've already got, just some slightly lower peaks in shorter ridgelines. Sort of a blending between the hills and the mountains you already have.

Keep it up, and don't be afraid to commit to things you're not sure about, like drawing in some sort of hill whether you're certain about it or not. Experiment freely. And then show everyone so we can enjoy your work!

Cheers
    Meshon

Thanks everyone! I'll try out some of these ideas and post an update soon!