Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Players Map Handout - The Known Area

Quote Originally Posted by Chgowiz View Post
    Get a bigger pan/oven?

How I would do it would be to lay out tin foil (ohgods, I just said "tin" foil.. jeez, how old am I? Aluminum foil!) and create a "drying pan" from it. I'd still do the hot coffee technique that I listed above (and possibly rip it prior to the coffee if you wanted that look).

Instead of the oven, I'd try a hair dryer on low (at first, until I got bored, impatient or figured out that high would not burn or ruin the paper) and try to dry it that way. If you're really patient, and your significant other doesn't mind, you could let it dry naturally, after mopping up the excess coffee. The trick is to have the aluminum foil "pan" be sealed at the edges/bottom so that you don't drip coffee through it. I'm not responsible for ruined carpets or tables.

I would probably experiment with this first before doing this on a real life poster sized map. Any chance you could get a blank sheet or two for practice?

Hmmm now that I think about it, something like a washing machine/air conditioner drip pan would be close to the right size, but that might be a bit expensive. I think my thought was more along the lines of the quick drying part since thats really what i think "burns" the stain into the paper itself. I would think that natural drying or even a hair dryer would work, but would not look anywhere near as good as if you could dry it really fast. Also, the natural curls would proably not be anywhere as good with slow drying as with an oven method.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hmmm now that I think about it, something like a washing machine/air conditioner drip pan would be close to the right size, but that might be a bit expensive. I think my thought was more along the lines of the quick drying part since thats really what i think "burns" the stain into the paper itself. I would think that natural drying or even a hair dryer would work, but would not look anywhere near as good as if you could dry it really fast. Also, the natural curls would proably not be anywhere as good with slow drying as with an oven method.

You're probably right about that, unless you had a couple of hair dryers cranking away. Although... if you're going for stained/weathered - the fact that it wasn't baked might lend some interesting effects. My paper "hardened" a bit from the drying and coffee, although I don't know if it was because of the heat or the wet/drying.

That's why I was suggesting some experimentation might help. Unless you know someone with a pizza oven...

Quote Originally Posted by Chgowiz View Post

You're probably right about that, unless you had a couple of hair dryers cranking away. Although... if you're going for stained/weathered - the fact that it wasn't baked might lend some interesting effects. My paper "hardened" a bit from the drying and coffee, although I don't know if it was because of the heat or the wet/drying.

That's why I was suggesting some experimentation might help. Unless you know someone with a pizza oven...

The problem I have with a hair drying is the "wind' I would want something more like radiant heating method so that the "pooled" liquid evaporates rather than blowing away.

Funny thing is that 15 years ago, I worked at a pizza place and we had very large sheet pans... but that does not help me now... I guess i would have to actually come up with some large pan and some type of enclosed box system with a heating element below it to really get what I am thinking of, but that would be bulky and expensive..
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Funny thing is that 15 years ago, I worked at a pizza place and we had very large sheet pans... but that does not help me now...
    I was just thinking that a sheet tray and a pizza oven would be perfect (if you can convince them to let you use it). I also worked at a pizza place (many moons ago) - we had 24x36" pans we used for tray pizza's (roughly equivalent to 2x16" pies)
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I guess i would have to actually come up with some large pan and some type of enclosed box system with a heating element below it to really get what I am thinking of, but that would be bulky and expensive..
    You are in my head. Get out. LOL...

Seriously, I have one of those old fashioned radiant heaters with the wire elements. If you rigged up a reflector out of aluminum foil (here we go with the foil again..) and had it pointed at your previously created foil "pan", you might get more bake than evap. Or a heat lamp, those things can get seriously hot. I had a mechanic's light that had a large aluminum disc 'reflector' and that thing would put out some serious heat. Just some thoughts. I'm tryin' here...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I just use the tea and candle method...soak it in tea (for how long is up to you), blow dry, then hold the edges over a candle flame. Here are some other ideas: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~roy/magict...ing_paper.html
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12