Thread: Help with the VT-BAM Project

Help Help with the VT-BAM Project

For anyone in this group who can draw, this post on the Alternate History forum needs your help.

Per the group's rules, allow me to clarify--this forum updates a map that is recently confirmed to be 12x6 tiles, each one 37.5x37.5 inches. In each tile is a nation with four levels of subdivisions. Unfortunately, the creators weren't intending on a singular world map, but a little Photoshopping can go around that problem...right?

In any case, progress had been wicked fast, but it is still far from done. To be sure, I asked if they needed help, and they said yes. The furthest instructions I can give you is that the finished projection is going to be equirectangular, and details involve political divisions and subdivisions (like, for example, counties inside a United State.)

I don't understand why they are redoing the project. Instead of doing all of it again, they could save a lot of time by doing it in vectors as the size can be infinite (you can zoom infinetly). Or just use Qgis since it's what they are using in the first place to make the base map?

Where can we find the M bam base map? (the previous iteration). All the maps I can find are modified version.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-25-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Why? MBAM is Mercator, and I say with experience when I say that Mercator is too much of a headache in comparison to Equirectangular.

I just want to check it. I might not use it but would appreciate any information.

Also, some border on the smallest administrative units are completely unusable. The area around Turin for example.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-25-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Unusable for someone who doesn't have Photoshop, I'll assume.

No. I mean, some areas are barely a few pixels large. Their borders cover as much as what is inside.
    They are mapping even municipalities. That is way too much detailed for the scale of the map, in my opinion.
    You can't see anything and even if you zoom it's pixelated. If they want to show municipalities, then, the map should be even more detailed as it looked like a complete mess.
    Or they should stick with larger political units that can be displayed properly at this scale.

I see no problem with this. They, in fact, would be useful for someone who uses Magic Wand and/or Paint to build empires and new geographies.