This whole question of scaling and resolution has me a little confused. Example: For a custom map in a FPS game, I have a 3D heightmap I created in PnP that's 2048 x 2048 px, representing a 2 km square area. Now I'm making the 2048 x 2048 texture map in gimp. I'm using cg textures (made into seamless tiles) as patterns and bucket-filling them to each appropriate layer (e.g., grass, forest floor, water), and adding layer masks, then erasing and using whatever tricks of the trade to let the textures show and merge smoothly. OK, these texture tiles were 512 x 512, but the patterns looked too huge and ungainly for everything except rock. So now I'm working with mostly 64 x 64 px tiles, which seem to be working better. But is there an ideal scale of a tile that corresponds to this scale of terrain? What would it be? Also, is there a way to just swap out a pattern on a layer, without deleting the layer or affecting the layer mask? When I apply a new pattern in bucket fill to an existing layer that has a pattern on it, the fill just adds and mixes the two patterns, rather than replacing the original.