Thread: Al'Hajidir v. 1.0

Map Al'Hajidir v. 1.0

The first city map for a Pathfinder homebrew campaign. A simple pencil on graph paper map with some basic photo manipulation for increased contrast and brightness along with icons and a legend.

Coastal, trade-based city on the edge of the Wastes (desert) and the Black Water Delta.

Government: Shah (Nibal Khan) and local Merchant Lord council.

Culture: largely Middle Eastern with Chinese influences (an attempt to create a "Silk Road" Metropolis)

Clothing: Robes, turbans, sandals, kasiks, facial jewelry, scarfs

Architecture: Towers, onion domes, red-tile roofs, open bazaars, adobe houses, rickety wooden structures,
    sloped/angular roofs, small shrines

Economy: Merchant-run, trading, bazaars, sea-trade, and over-land trade (unique trade across the desert)

Goods: Cloth, wool, fish, spices, religious objects/relics, artifacts, metals, building materials

Services: Metallurgy, enchantment, armorers, sea travel, ship-building

Inns/Taverns:

i. Sleeping Watchman (3 stars) / barman: Janeran (female human)
    ii. Thirsty Viper (3 stars) / barman: Catilad (female halfling)
    iii. Cartographer's Rest (4 stars) / barman: Auduren (male half-demon)
    iv. Philosopher's Stein (5 stars) / barman: Rabran (male human)
    v. Cat's Eye (2 stars) / barman: Marcavi (male cat-folk)
    vi. Gleaming Trident (4 stars) / barman: Edean (female dwarf)

Shops:

a. Titan Forge (Metallurgy, armorer) / owner: Magedin (female human)
    b. The Laughing Quill (Enchantments, scrolls) / owner: Jimoan (male elf)
    c. Tall Dwarf's (Armorer) / owner: Marath (female half-orc)
    d. The Sundered Hammer (Armorer, Druid armor) / owner: Ashanar (male halfling)
    e. The Whispering Cabinet (Alchemist, curios) / owner: Rachevra (female elf)
    f. Jinn's Retreat (Scrolls, magic items) / owner: Meridath (female half-elf)
    g. Cat in the Bag (Traveller's equipment) / owner: Ederan (male cat-folk)
    h. The Walking Canvas (Tattooist) / owner: Deviro (male human)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Al'Hajidir City Map Labelled.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	103843  

That's pretty cool. Nice job. It looks like you took a photo. If you have a camera with an optical zoom then next time it is worth while to tape the paper to a wall, put a few lights on it and take the photo from farther away, this will keep it flatter. Otherwise it is generally preferable to scan it, because then it's all in focus and it's mostly flat by default.

To the map it's self, they walls don't read so well as walls (I'm assuming they are walls since they've got tower gate houses) since they share all the same features as roads. The other difficulty I'm having is telling the difference between land and water. It might be worthwhile to shade or texture the water portions (or alternatively the ground) in your next map.

Thanks for the tips on how to take a better photo/get a better final product. I tend to get impatient with my camera and should probably just use a scanner.

I see your point on the walls and roads. I'm currently re-working this map in GIMP to add color so hopefully that fixes the issues you brought up. Thanks!