Thread: Grammatical Philosophy: Is mine good for conlanging?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A side note i feel obligated to share in my minor studies of linguistics gendered mood don't have to make sense as to why they are gendered the way they are. In many languages that use genders those that use the word don't really think of something like a fork as female or a spoon male. Logically you might think it's backwards, but it does happen and it's never really something to be concerned with.

If generous is wintering you want to do away with you can look at why English doesn't have genders. It did at one point. The theory is that when England was invaded by the Saxon (or someone else... it happened a lot and my memory is rusty) the invaders integrated with the locals. They didn't impose their language on them but started to learn the local language. When you have a a bunch of people learning a language second hand at an older age one of the first things to drop is gendering. They are simply trying to communicate. Gender doesn't help this. The locals may have chuckled if they thought it funny, but then this generation starts passing its learned form of English on to its children and it starts to spread.

English is a strange language with a strange history that makes it what it is.

Tldr: your historical timeline can change what you really want to be in your language.
    Last edited by Galrion; 05-09-2020 at 10:34 AM.