Backtracking

So one of my bad habits is as follows;

Step 1 : Generate some raw data

Step 2a : Smooth out the elevation model
Step 2b : Trim off the excess fat and define the major continents

Step 3 : Start building up the main mountain chains

"Oh wait. Look at those cute little islands, they just need to be loved and hugged and developed and nurtured, let's do that instead."

Step 4 : Re-start building up the main mountain chains
Step 5 : Start eroding things a bit.

"Oh, damn it, I just messed up those little islands I worked so hard on . . . "

You can probably guess the rest at this point.

So, in trying to avoid this disaster, I decided to take a couple steps backwards and finalize the foundations of the world I'm working on with the intent of pulling in a couple of side projects that I've been working on that would fit well with the overall world concept.

To that end, I went back to Step 1, and regenerated the world as a whole with a few revamped generation settings. Then it was off to steps 2a and 2b. Once they were taken care of, I readied myself for Step 3, reminding myself not to jump ahead. But as I was looking at the world as a whole, I was struck by the thought that something seemed a bit odd or, maybe, a bit out of place.

Now it could just be me since I am peculiar about things, but I thought that this might be a good point to involve another set of eyes (or several sets of eyes for that matter) and find out if things looked odd or out of place to anyone else. So I've included three attachments;

Attachment One is the raw results from FTPro without any editing what so ever.

Attachment Two is the result after smoothing the elevation model to cut the mountains down. And yes, I know it means I will just have to rebuild them, but I've never quite liked the way FTPro always places them near the center of the land masses. To me, that just seems so very odd.

Attachment Three is the result after trimming down the fat and defining the major continental land masses. This is the point where things seem a bit odd. I think it is the central land mass that is bugging me. At this point, it gives the impression of being two major continents (like North and South America) and I have this feeling that it should be three major continents (i.e. North, South and Central America). Again, maybe it is just me. In any event, if anyone has time and wants to offer their opinions or suggestions, I'd welcome them.

GW