Thread: Historic, Local Maps

Default Historic, Local Maps

Greetings!

I have recently taken an interest in local history (I am located in South Central Kansas), and I would be very interested in finding historic maps of my area. I am hopeful that some knowledgeable cartophiles might inform me what sorts of various maps may exist (surveying, rail, road, literally anything available), as well as where I may need to go to view these maps. Any tips at all are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading!

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Welcome Juan! Two beautiful maps on the Gallica site (entries 2 and 3) : http://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engin...20kansas%22%29 but I am sure many others will give you local links...

US Library of Congress may have some that might suit. Not sure about more localised sites. Possibly your local library might be able to help (assuming you haven't checked there already).

https://www.loc.gov/maps/?q=kansas+state
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I found a 1917 atlas at an estate auction a number of years ago. It was in a table full of books that I bought for $5.
    Not much for roads, but it's loaded with small towns and villages that no longer exist. It's also very small print - a magnifying glass is very helpful.
    But auctions are a long shot and it may be years before something shows up.

You could check the used book stores in your area. I've gotten some gems for cheap. You might get lucky.

Also try your state and local historical societies. They usually have lots of old material that you can look at.