I was debating on where to put this, but the general section here likely works the best.

To the point: The local paintball field where I am, (Spikes Paintball in York, PEI, Canada) is working hard to make a better, more interesting field for players. Last year they built a Western themed field that is made up of movable 'bunkers' styled after western building fronts.

This made for a great field, but it has a major drawback when it comes to building another like it. It is friggen expensive for all the materials, and they're not even pressure treated. (But still holding up amazingly well, stays decently dry I guess.)

Now because we have a large group of people that can show up for construction days, labour is the cheap part, material prices are what kills us. So this gave me the idea of using wattle and daub to build a close quarters village. About the only things we might have to bring in would be straw bales, and maybe some extra sand for the mix. The rest of the materials would be free off the land the fields are being built on.

The village is most likely going to be open roof structures, and then likely white washed to help protect them. I figure it should hold up decently for a year or two, and then just require minor rebuilding of some walls in the late spring to deal with frost damage.

The problem now is that I need ideas and suggestions on layouts and things to keep in mind to make a Realistic feeling game field, somewhere for Sim games of raiding a grow op/chem lab/terrorist cell. If you were to have a new field in that style go up near where you play, what would you like to see about it's layout?

I'm thinking the play area isn't likely to be much more than 300'x300', and the village itself wouldn't be more than 200x200 feet. How many buildings would you expect to see in a space like that? Would you rather see more smaller buildings that are one or two rooms, two exits, and a few windows? Or would you rather see fewer large buildings with multiple rooms and more detail to them?

Small households with their own low fenced in yard? (tight wattle fencing is a good option, you might be seen through it, you might not, you would likely have to crawl/crouch very low to hide behind most of them)

Single compound with a wall and two gate houses, then a series of buildings inside the main outer walls?

Thoughts and suggestions on details to include?