Thread: February 2018 Challenge: Map Retrieved From the Corpse of a Seer

Map February 2018 Challenge: Map Retrieved From the Corpse of a Seer

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NTW_Elevator_Pitch_Prophecies.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	104242

Hopefully it's clear (without having to read the fine print) that if the lighthouse casts a shadow at a certain time on a certain day, it unveils a phantasmal bridge. Hence: "The Bridge of Mercy shall be restored when Light becomes Shadow." This prophecy happened to be on the first page when I loaded the donjon generator. I also had a lot of fun with an "Elemental" fantasy name generator to come up with the labels. "Nefaris" is an elemental name for "Shadow." So the "Lighthouse of Nefaris" is actually an oxymoron when you stop to think about it.

Still trying to refine my "hand drawn / watercolor" look. Once again, unless I discover some glaring typo in the near future, this is the final image.
    Hinterland Mapview

Follow me on Twitter: @SonOfJoxer

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

This looks great - nice work! I assume you're using a wacom or tablet for this?

RE: RjBeals: Yeah, Wacom stopped supporting the driver for my old Wacom tablet so I had to buy a new (smaller) one, but it's totally worth it for the pressure sensitivity. Painted and labeled with Photoshop CS3.
    Hinterland Mapview

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

I'm still using my OLD OLD wacom intuos 3. No driver support for a long time, but I am able to use an old one for windows vista, and it works. I'm no good at it though - I don't use it professionally, only for hobby. I wish I could afford the surface pro...

Very nice colors, and efficient above all.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NTW_Elevator_Pitch_Prophecies.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	104372

I can't imagine anyone else would notice the difference besides me, but I missed a small shadow that belongs on the left side of the top portion of the lighthouse. The change is so miniscule that I'm not sure it really warrants an update, but I do think it helps the light in the lighthouse pop off the page ever so slightly.
    Hinterland Mapview

I like it a lot ! A question though, what prevents from getting to the ruins in normal circumstances ?

RE: ThomasR: Great question! I made the map with the expectation that it could be printed out on 8.5 x 14 inch (legal size) paper. To answer your question, I would have to expand the map on the left side to reveal a semi-circular mountain range surrounding the ruins. So approaching the ruins from the left side of the map would be possible, but impractical. Since the bay beneath the bridge was carved out by a waterfall, the sheer cliffs drop far below the waterline, providing no purchase along the shoreline for climbing gear. The "Bridge of Mercy" could be meant as a merciful convenience, or perhaps a deliberate attempt to isolate the ruins so that only the brave or foolhardy would attempt a crossing. Now that I've had time to think about it, perhaps crossing the phantasmal bridge gives one the divine insight necessary to find a phantasmal entrance to a secret lair beneath the ruins. Thanks for asking!
    Hinterland Mapview