Thread: [WIP] Whitestone and the Parchwood

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Default [WIP] Whitestone and the Parchwood

I'm prepping an adventure that takes place in the Tal'Dorei campaign setting, in the area just around Whitestone. There is a beautiful world map in the campaign guide created by Andy Law -- he wrote up an interesting blog post about his process -- but I need one on a much smaller scale, showing just Whitestone and its surroundings.

Here's what I've got so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parchwood-wip-01.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	104305

I am deeply ambivalent. Ehhhhh, it's okay I guess, but ... the mountains don't feel right, I'm not sure that the trees in the forest work very well, and the edge of the peninsula has no continental shelf.

And of course I haven't stuck any of the city indicators on there just yet. I'm not going to attempt any photorealism there, they'll just be abstract dots on the map with labels.

The only thing I'm really happy about is that the scale of the map corresponds well with the scale of the world map. You could scale this down to match the size of the original world map and it would match up very, very closely, with perhaps a few pixels of difference here or there.

It also feels like I need more stuff. Part of the advantage of zooming in is that you can show features that aren't present in the world map. I've got a bunch more villages to add -- Mooren, Kinesgrove, Ranwick, Hearthrose, Pendale -- but perhaps it also needs some other points of interest as well. And the river probably needs some tributaries.

Any feedback is welcome.
    Last edited by wdmartin; 02-07-2018 at 03:32 AM.