Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lakelands

I enjoy helping - so no problem

Nice forests!

Default Copyright symbol

I know this is a little late in this thread (8 hours and a dozen posts) but:

The copyright symbol © and (c) are legally equivalent - at least they were twenty years ago when I was involved with such stuff.

It's a legacy issue - typewriters didn't have the © symbol so they used (c), and that was legally adequate.

Also, the text editing programs used for coding don't support multiple fonts or extended symbols beyond the local keyboard symbols, so programmers still use the (c) construct in their copyright notices. Open a GIMP script file in a text editor and look at the copyright notice at the top.
    (Editors for programming are very different animals from document editing programs.)
    Last edited by bkh1914; 02-08-2018 at 10:12 PM.

How many labels do you expect to need? This nice hand drawn style might work with blatant banners or scrolls for each label, letting the text be nice and contrasty- straight black on straight white (or whatever other color scheme matches the map itself).
    - Jake

My first thought, when I looked at the map, was that it was very 'busy', but after a longer look, I've decided that I really like it. I love all the little clumps of trees and your shading on the land is very nice. Interested to see what you do with the labels.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Apprentice

I like that you're using a basis of native american culture instead of say medieval fantasy. I'm all about subverting and avoiding commonly-used tropes!

That said, I think it somewhat suffers without labels, just because some of the forested areas seem to blend together without much to differentiate them. It might be worthwhile to put down some placeholder labels, if you're concerned with copyright infringement?

Or just go full disney-draconian and sue everyone who even looks at your map wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice forests!
    Thanks! They took some time coloring and drawing...

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    I know this is a little late in this thread (8 hours and a dozen posts) but:

The copyright symbol © and (c) are legally equivalent - at least they were twenty years ago when I was involved with such stuff.

It's a legacy issue - typewriters didn't have the © symbol so they used (c), and that was legally adequate.

Also, the text editing programs used for coding don't support multiple fonts or extended symbols beyond the local keyboard symbols, so programmers still use the (c) construct in their copyright notices. Open a GIMP script file in a text editor and look at the copyright notice at the top.
    (Editors for programming are very different animals from document editing programs.)
    Thanks for letting me know!

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    How many labels do you expect to need? This nice hand drawn style might work with blatant banners or scrolls for each label, letting the text be nice and contrasty- straight black on straight white (or whatever other color scheme matches the map itself).
    - Jake
    Nice idea, though I think a wampun belt would work much better than a scroll on this map. I can imagine them hanging over the coast villages and the temporary camps very well. The problem, of course, is drawing these little belts... I'll have to think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    My first thought, when I looked at the map, was that it was very 'busy', but after a longer look, I've decided that I really like it. I love all the little clumps of trees and your shading on the land is very nice. Interested to see what you do with the labels.
    Thank you ChickPea!

Quote Originally Posted by micaholism View Post
    I like that you're using a basis of native american culture instead of say medieval fantasy. I'm all about subverting and avoiding commonly-used tropes!

That said, I think it somewhat suffers without labels, just because some of the forested areas seem to blend together without much to differentiate them. It might be worthwhile to put down some placeholder labels, if you're concerned with copyright infringement?

Or just go full disney-draconian and sue everyone who even looks at your map wrong
    Yes, I'm also obsessed with avoiding common tropes and exploiting gaps in the writing market. For the labels I'm really not sure. The disney-draconian role sounds like fun . But I am counting on adding the labels (posting it here is my brain-scratch). I don't much consider this map done until it's labelled up.

My never-content self is urging me to redraw the whole map with more details and a different mountain style... I'm trying to resist, but every time I look at the mts I feel they don't look right on this type of map... Need some inspiration.
    My latest work was to sort out a spot of trouble in the ocean, but I'm too lazy to post it right now (and it's not anything of an update really.) Really have to sort this label problem... My latest fantasy was to take a blank sheet of paper, somehow get all the labels in the right place, scan it and multiply it over the map... Who knows what my mind will come up with next...

Why?!!!

Its beautiful the way it is, MMM

If you do re-draw it, don't scrap this one but have them as two alternative versions.

And if you do redraw it you could incorporate the labels into the drawing as you draw it - maybe on little scroll shapes as part of the original drawing itself? The effect is really cool. All you need is a sort of template of a simple scroll to copy by hand each time, so that all the labels are basically the same design, but each is uniquely just a bit different - as you would expect in a hand drawn map.

You don't have to do it that way. Its just a suggestion.

The labels could just as easily be written without scrolls onto the new map. Its entirely up to you.
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-11-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Hmm... you've just given me a very nice idea... I might just make a second version as you suggested, this time adding the names directly on paper... which would take some planning. But, with this map as reference it should really be of help. I'm even considering doing it with watercolours. It feels like my whole current situation is made to redraw this map... got calligraphy fountain pens to test... styles to ponder over... fonts to imagine...
    But first I'll have to lurk the best cartographers' portfolios to get inspired for a mountain style.
    And thanks for the kind words

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast