Thread: Lake Brun

Default Lake Brun

Hey,

I've been trying to come back to this wonderful hobby but only recently managed to get the time. I bought a set of ink pens and decided to try it on a map. After several failed trials, I've reached a result I'm happy with: Lake Brun. A small map of a lake and its sorroundings.

The drawing was done with microns, and the writting with the ink pens (drawing with them is exceptionally difficult, though the writting is pretty). All of the drawings were hand-made. The aged effect and lake/trees painting was done in GIMP. My girlfriend pointed the fact that the map title looks more as "Blake Run" than "Lake Brun", though it was already too late. I still have to get used to those placements.

Hope you enjoy,
    Any feedback is welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lake_brun_low.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	104319  

Excellent work! I love the old-fashioned style.

Very nice work! I'm just wondering how it would look with a land color (but with the same brightness) more close than the one you used for the lake.

Gorgeous map! Very well done! I think the B being too close to the L is not too much of a problem, as anyone will immediately know this is a lake. And I'm sure that if it was meant to be written as Blake Run everyone would say it looks like Lake Brun!
    And what ink pens do you mean? That handwriting is so cool!
    P.S: Just noticed the lake is rather in a shape similar to Australia!

Quote Originally Posted by Mapsburgh View Post
    Excellent work! I love the old-fashioned style.
    Thank you. I really like old-fashion style

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice work! I'm just wondering how it would look with a land color (but with the same brightness) more close than the one you used for the lake.
    Thank you. Although I'm not sure I correctly understood what you meant by "a land color". Do you mean trying something like the color on the lake, but applying to the whole map (basically darkening it a bit)?

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Gorgeous map! Very well done! I think the B being too close to the L is not too much of a problem, as anyone will immediately know this is a lake. And I'm sure that if it was meant to be written as Blake Run everyone would say it looks like Lake Brun!
    And what ink pens do you mean? That handwriting is so cool!
    Oh, well, this is sort of a relief. After I've been told that it looked like "Blake Run" I could not read anything else besides that

By "ink pens" I mean the ones in the picture below. This is actually a picture of my current set: there are eight "head" types, and one "stick" where I can plug the heads and have a different type of pen. Plus of course the paint itself, which I got two: black and the redish (scarlet) type used in the map title. In a literal translation from portuguese I would call them "feather pens", or as google has pointed out to me, "quill", altough it does not seem this is exactly the correct name in english, and searching "ink pen" on google provided closer results.

Anyway, this type of pen is quite hard at first, but after some trials and youtube tutorials one can manage to get a decent writing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180208_200821.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	648.1 KB 
ID:	104359  

Yeah... I was talking about taking the lake color and raise the light level (in the Hue Saturation Light code). But then I realized you did this all in traditional media, so it's kinda meaningless, sorry.
    And great work nontheless!

Nice. I will never tire of Tolkien-ish style maps, and bonus points for being hand-drawn.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Apprentice

Gorgeous! I don't see many hand-drawn maps, so this is great!

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Actually, it is more similar to the Sea of Rhûn on the Middle-Earth map. Not identical, but with the somewhat similar name and hills to the west, woods to the east layout, it did immediately spring to mind.