Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feb / Mar '18 Light Challenge: Continent of Domela

Wip Feb / Mar '18 Light Challenge: Continent of Domela

I thought I would try to posting something prior to the last day of the challenge this go 'round.
    Here's hoping that this small step away from procrastination leads to a more complete entry! :-D

As usual, thanks for the great challenge idea, Mr Bogues!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LiteChal_18FebMar(WIP1).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	104935

Nice start MB, welcome to the Challenge. Great colors!

Thank you, Sir Bogermeister. I do take that as high praise, coming from you. :-D
    Nice shape, by the way! It was a cloud initially, you said? I'll have to remember that the next time I'm struggling with land shapes.

WIPTime

Alright, alright... things are finally moving forward on this challenge map! After no fewer than three failed attempts at creating mountains that didn't totally suck, I've come up with what I have now. I'm mostly okay with them, I think. Also, got the coast most of the way done.

Next comes rivers, green things, and, of yeah, those POI dots that disappeared since my first WIP. ;-)

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LiteChal_18FebMar(WIP2).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	105202

That's an interesting and unique way of creating mountains. I really like them, I just think the ridges look a bit too sharp compared to the rest of the map, which is more "soft" and a bit blurry.

Interesting mountains.

When I first looked at them, I immediately thought of morel mushrooms [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morel_mushroom].
    (I usually hunt for morels in the spring and that texture popped right out at me.)
    Last edited by bkh1914; 03-06-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Looking good MB

Hello everybody! I sincerely appreciate all of three of you, Neyasha, bkh1914, and His Royal Highness, The Bogermeister Himself, taking the time to have a look at my WIP and leave a comment. If I've improved at all over the last year of doing the cartography thing it has everything to do with these kinds of comments.
    Thank you very much and keep 'em comin!

Neyasha:
    You may have read that that was not my first attempt at those mountains. No, it was more like the third or fourth try. I swear that the mountains stump me every time!
    That being said, I wanted to say that the difference between the mountains and the rest of the map is not a complete accident. I had rather hoped that it would provide a nice contrast to have the mountains so sharp, while other elements took a softer tone. But after reading your comment, I'm wondering if the "nice contrast" I wanted is reading more like a "clashy mismatch!" Regardless, you've given me something to consider, so thank you!

Hmmmm... is "clashy" a word? Chrome doesn't think so. But Chrome and I have had to agree to disagree on words before.

bkh1914:
    Now THAT was pretty cool. And a little bit eerie. I mean, even the colors looked the same as my mountains. I'm fairly certain that I was not trying to imitate the pattern of a rare type of mushroom, however, maybe my subconscious ... ? But seriously, thanks for the link. Can I ask why someone hunts for morel mushrooms? You've got me curious.

Your Highness:
    Your words of encouragement give me the strength to soldier on, my liege! :-D

I hope to have a new WIP up tonight or tomorrow! But if I don't stop writing soon, it may end up being the day after that!

Happy mapping everyone!
    MB

Quote Originally Posted by mixerbach View Post
    ... Can I ask why someone hunts for morel mushrooms? You've got me curious.
    They are tasty, more of a delicate and slightly spicy flavor.

And they only grow wild.

So if you want some, you've either got to find them yourself or pay someone who did.
    In truth, it's the challenge of finding them as much as anything - like hunting or fishing.
    And it's a good excuse to walk the woods in May when everything is turning green.
    (I have about 60 acres of very hilly woods so it's also good exercise.)

-bkh

With as rare as they seem to be, I have a feeling I wouldn't find them in the Central Florida wilds, huh?
    Thanks for sharing that, bkh. That sounds really cool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast