Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I did it! CC3+CD3 is ordered!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    I did it Ascension! Overlapping shadows solved with photoshop.
    I just made one render with 100% opacity shadows and one without shadows. Put one over the other and adjust transparency. Bingo!
    Next challenge?
    'cause shadows are my fetish/pet peeve...

[beginrant]

I am not too sure about how this would be done ('cause I have yet to reach the point of knowing how to drop shadows on the comp), but the tower shadows on the curtain wall should be shorter than the shadows on the grass. Shadows are longer the greater the relative height difference is between the surface and the object casting it.

[endrant]

I have been looking at some maps and been trying to figure if the drop shadow function takes things like this into account. I think that it would require some sort of 3D model in order to do this, but was wondering if there are other ways. Two or more shadow layers?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Is it possible in CC3 to have an invisible object cast a shadow? Or maybe a mask that hides the object? Say you have a round tower and the program makes all shadows the same length...if you can have an invisible object then just use another tower offset. Just an inquiry/thought.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yes, you would need two layers for the shadows unless you wanted to paint them in. At least then you can use the angle setting of the shadow to approximate the proper shadow length.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Is it possible in CC3 to have an invisible object cast a shadow? Or maybe a mask that hides the object? Say you have a round tower and the program makes all shadows the same length...if you can have an invisible object then just use another tower offset. Just an inquiry/thought.
    I'm pretty sure you can make an "invisible" symbol by creating a PNG with just an alpha channel, but I don't think this can cast a shadow. However, I haven't ever tried that.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I think that has to be done in 3d...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345