Thread: Perspective hand-drawn city map on paper

Question Perspective hand-drawn city map on paper

Hello,

I'm wondering how do you manage to create a perspective city map on paper ? I read this thread https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ht=perspective but it quickly drifts towards digital mapping.
    I'd like to know if there is any tutorial, tips and tricks to create a well-proportioned city map using an isometric projection or a 3 points perspectives (those vanishing points being 10 meters away from the paper sheet, I can't just draw them...). The thing is, I can't print an isometric or perspective grid I made with PS for example, because I won't be able to erase it or be able to see through the thick sheet I'm drawing on.
    So I decided to go freestyle on that map and after quite some time, the overall progress was so hideous my eyes bled.

I saw so many dazzling perspective maps on that forum, so I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction or explain some tricks or two to get a solid foundation on which I can build something fair.

Thanks !

One thing you could try is to create axonometric views instead of isometric.

Draw the footprints of all of your buildings in top-down 2D as usual. Then turn them 45 degrees, and draw the walls straight up. If the roofs are flat, they will be parallel to the floor lines.

This is pretty easy to do with a light table for hand-drawn maps, but you can also do it with layers in Illustrator or whatever.

Here's a video on the process for architectural drawings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFDIg7otgIg

Thanks for your answer,
    I actually tried different projections to have an idea of the results I can get. The overall process is fairly simple but a small error when drawing a line can have severe consequences and mess up the whole map...
    There is still some big issues with specific features such as round walls and, by extension, everything that's round. But I guess I should practice more to get a hold of it.

That video is really interesting to understand those different projections, thanks !