Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

hmmm. Maybe I am understanding 42 and just don't realize it. I provided screen shots of the different changes in 42 with one simple question, did I understand?

I guess my problem with this was after reading the step, I kind of expected something else.. (learning, sometimes it is like putting your head through a wall)

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 17 10.56.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	15970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_06 Aug. 17 10.56.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	15971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_07 Aug. 17 10.57.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	280.2 KB 
ID:	15972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_08 Aug. 17 10.59.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	15973  

Okay, doing step 43 something seems to be way off. It is like I am working in the wrong area based on your descriptions above. (screen shot provided)

Name:	ScreenHunter_09 Aug. 17 11.48.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	15975  

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    It's possible, but rough... I used many pieces from this one and RobA's regional map tutorial to make a world map recently...

I can't promise lots of help, but this isn't the only Ascension tut I've tried to get to work in GIMP... so if you could post some details of your snags... I can try...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Krases - as far as I know, the lighting effects filter is the only thing that can't be duplicated in Gimp very well. I use lighting effects for texturing mountains, hills and the land. You could easily use Pasis' tutorial for mountains in that spot and it looks great. You can texture land with a pattern overlay. The point being that the tut is meant as a starting point and then you can jump off wherever you want and start experimenting on your own. I would suggest doing RobA's tutorial first to learn your way around the Gimp techniques first and become familiar with them. Then try mine and see what you think and make changes accordingly.
    I am in the market anyway for photoshop, so I might just wait until I buy it and try the tutorial again.

To be honest I am a newb anyway. I couldn't even get past step 2 because I didn't know how to make it 8-bit and the cloud rendering came out really weird.

It looks cool though so when I get photoshop it might be the first thing I try.

Vascant, what were your settings for the bevel and emboss? It seems to me like it is set to inner bevel, instead of outer bevel.

Also, if I am correct your shelf should only be in the area of your landmasses (Including islands) which means that you might not have filled everything in the layer above the shelf layer with black, although it seems in your picture that you might have. Without seeing your file I can't know.

@Krases
    The closest thing to Lighting Effects in GIMP is the Bump Map filter. May work best if you use the layer itself as the source for your bump map
    As for the cloud rendering, you may want to up the sharpness in the cloud filter, and set it on random, with about 6 for x and y. This makes it more like how it is in photoshop.
    One problem you would then have though is that GIMP does not have the same layer modes as photoshop. You can make your landmasses though by duplicating the clouds layer and renaming it to base, then go to Color: Brightness-Contrast, and up the contrast to 100, it does the same as the gray colored layer does in photoshop. You then will have to use the pencil tool to connect different parts of the white/black and fill those in. It may take a while.

Sorry, don't know about 8 bit, I think that must be modified when you choose New Image or whatever.

@Ascension
    When following this tutorial I get confused for the Lighting Effects for the Mountains/Hills/Waves. It seems like you have 5 light sources (One in each corner and one in the center) but you only show the radius for one of them. Each time I use it I end up with an almost completely different look (Still looks good though, I especially love how it looks on my deserts)

Oh, and when making the base layer, when you say Soft Brush do you mean the big soft one thats blurry, or the hard edged one?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yes a big soft airbrush tip. As for the lighting, I only show the settings on one because the setting are the same for all five of them (similar radius as well).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yes a big soft airbrush tip.
    Really> Cause mine turned out with it looking as if I had the land layer on the Dissolve layer mode. Is that how it is supposed to look?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You should get lots of little white 1 pixel dots around the coasts. If you use hard edged tips then it will mess up when running the lighting effects and you will get something that almost looks beveled. Keep the transitions soft by using an airbrush tip. Later on in the tut we get rid of the dots...Select-modify-contract=1.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You should get lots of little white 1 pixel dots around the coasts. If you use hard edged tips then it will mess up when running the lighting effects and you will get something that almost looks beveled. Keep the transitions soft by using an airbrush tip. Later on in the tut we get rid of the dots...Select-modify-contract=1.
    Dang I guess I missed that step =\

lol OH well, thanks Ascension

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    Vascant, what were your settings for the bevel and emboss? It seems to me like it is set to inner bevel, instead of outer bevel.

Also, if I am correct your shelf should only be in the area of your landmasses (Including islands) which means that you might not have filled everything in the layer above the shelf layer with black, although it seems in your picture that you might have. Without seeing your file I can't know.
    I attached the screen shot showing the FX of the shelf layer and the bevel is as should be. I usually always follow what is in the tutorial first and understand why the settings are what they are before venturing into playing with settings.
    (I am fairly new with Photoshop so using these steps to learn and explore the functionality.)

Sorry about the delay, real life finally found where I was hiding at and had to find a new hiding spot

Name:	Atlas_Step-42.43-FX.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	291.3 KB 
ID:	16678  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Just wanted to say thanks to Ascension for a truly awesome and easy to understand tutorial. Thanks, dude!

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast