Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You've deleted the wrong area...the area directly under the landmasses. You're supposed to delete the area away from the land, ie the deep sea.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the tutorial. I was wondering how everyone was generating the nice ocean contours and that answered it for me!

You're welcome
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Hello Ascension,

firstly, this is a great map and a great tutorial. Secondly, I'm running into some difficulties.

I'm using Photoshop Elements 7 (if that helps), and am a complete newbie to Photoshop in general. It took some figuring out, but I've been able to follow your tutorial until Step 21, where the gradients come in. I've made the gradient you use, but when I apply it to my map it comes out looking like this.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/t...entsResult.jpg

What did I do wrong?

Well, first, the tut doesn't really translate well to Elements because it doesn't have the same features and functions. Second, it looks ok to me. Go a few more steps and then let's see.

Thanks for this great tut. I tried creating a map by following your instructions step by step and I added some layers for the ice-part in the north and the forests in the southern regions. I posted the map in the WIP section, here

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I'm working on translating this to the GIMP, and whereas I think I'm pretty close, I'd like to post up some step-by-step pics to request advice from everyone on some steps that aren't translating as well as others.

Should I post that up here, in its own tut thread, or in a WIP thread (and then post up the finished product here)? Don't want to bogart credit, but don't want to hijack this thread, either. So I'm in a quandary. Help?

Put it here, sort of as a one-stop-shop collecting place. When you finally get it done we'll put it in the first post of the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ok, so here's the translation up to the mountains, which is the first place I'm having trouble getting it to look as similar as I'd like. The steps I'm following are in the pdf, and here are pics to this point following the PS tutorial (2nd pic) and the translation (1st pic). The zip contains gradient and palette files for gimp, as well.

Specifically, I don't like how "hard" the gimp mountains are compared to the original, but I'm not sure how to go about softening them; gimp's bump map works very differently from PS's bevel.
    Last edited by Gidde; 10-11-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

To be honest, I like the gimp mountains the way they came out. I think you're on to something there!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast