Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Question

I am truly not seeing anything like your picture by the time i've reached step 22.

i attach a screenshot- what have i missed out?
    http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/1...reenshotee.jpg

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You're missing the land layer that goes between the ocean layer and the hills layer. The layer styles that you have on the base layer go on the land layer. The base layer should never be seen, it is only used to define selections.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

I am totally stuck on Step 21. The Adding Style Layers is where my problem is. Could I get a quick sub-tutorial on how I am supposed to add them? I dont see that there is a particular place with which Im supposed to add them, or if they are a layer, or what. Or what kind of style layer, or what have you. Please help!

Edit: Are the Style Layers completely blank layers with Color Overlays and nothing else?

21. Ctrl-click on the “base” layer (in the layers palette) to load it as a selection (in newer versions of Photoshop you have to ctrl-click on the thumbnail in the layers palette). Select > Inverse then hit the delete key then deselect. Add a layer style; we’ll use 4 colors with 5 stops as follows: color 1 at the 5% position is flat white, color code FFFFFF (rgb 255, 255, 255); color 2 at the 35% position is a dark olive green, color code 405018 (rgb 64, 80, 24); color 3 at the 60% position is the same dark olive green; color 4 at the 85% position is a dark flesh, color code DAC094 (rgb 218, 192, 14; and color 5 at the 100% position is a papyrus, color code F0E6BE (rgb 240, 230, 190). Set the blend mode of the gradient to hard light with 100% opacity. Next we’ll add a layer style of outer glow: use a light blue, any will do for now and you can change it later but I use 40C8FF (rgb 64, 200, 255). Set the blend mode of the outer glow to screen at 25% opacity and a size of 11. If you want a lighter gradient then add a layer style of color overlay of white and set the blend mode to soft light and then turn down the opacity until you are happy with it.
    Last edited by TheJayde; 01-09-2010 at 01:21 PM.

At the bottom of the layer palette, or layer stack, you will see a black circle with a white cursive f...that is the button to click to add a layer style to a layer. The layer style affects everything on the layer so if the layer is empty then nothing gets affected. You can "fool" the computer by turning the fill down to zero but it knows that there are pixels there somewhere and so it will try to do what you tell it to do with the layer style. From reading your other post I can also tell you that you should have multiple layers, not just one. You should have a layer with clouds, a layer called ocean, a layer called land, a layer called hills, a layer called mountains, and a layer called base. The base layer gets nothing done to it. The first clouds layer is there in case you mess up so you have something to go back to in order to start over. The ocean layer gets a gradient map of blues, the land layer gets a layer style of gradient overlay and color overlay, the hills and mountains each get color overlays. Also, this is for Photoshop so it won't work in Corel or Gimp or Paint Shop.
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-09-2010 at 01:41 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Guild Novice

This is where I'm at. I may be starting over just to make sure I didnt mess up, but i REALLY dont want to start over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	20181  

Guild Novice

I redid another one, and I found out where my error was most likely. I must have messed up on one of the steps.

Edit: After getting to the same point, I still have no clue how to proceed from this point on. I believe the following is problematic in the description to my brain.

Add a layer style;

You say that, and then you go on to number off a bunch of colors and what not, but you dont explain where they go persay. Also, I'd like to point out that I had no issue with the previous command which made sure that I had the correct number of layers, and as to how they were labeled. Are you meaning to say that in the order you mentioned those layers in the previous command, are to be done in order, one at a time with the current command I'm stuck on?
    Last edited by TheJayde; 01-09-2010 at 02:44 PM.

This is what step 21 says:

Ctrl-click on the “base” layer (in the layers palette) to load it as a selection (in newer versions of Photoshop you have to ctrl-click on the thumbnail in the layers palette). Select > Inverse then hit the delete key then deselect. Add a layer style of gradient overlay; we’ll use 4 colors with 5 stops as follows: color 1 at the 5% position is flat white, color code FFFFFF (rgb 255, 255, 255); color 2 at the 35% position is a dark olive green, color code 405018 (rgb 64, 80, 24); color 3 at the 60% position is the same dark olive green; color 4 at the 85% position is a dark flesh, color code DAC094 (rgb 218, 192, 14; and color 5 at the 100% position is a papyrus, color code F0E6BE (rgb 240, 230, 190). Set the blend mode of the gradient to hard light with 100% opacity. Next we’ll add a layer style of outer glow: use a light blue, any will do for now and you can change it later but I use 40C8FF (rgb 64, 200, 255). Set the blend mode of the outer glow to screen at 25% opacity and a size of 11. If you want a lighter gradient then add a layer style of color overlay of white and set the blend mode to soft light and then turn down the opacity until you are happy with it.

So far it looks like your fine and have just finished step 20. I'm not sure what's the problem here. Layers styles are the button at the bottom right that looks like fx...since I'm using an older version of PS mine is a white f on a black circle.

Guild Novice

I figured it out. For some reason, I couldnt find the words gradiant overlay in the document. Though It's all good and this tutorial has given me a lot of education in the creation of maps and the like. I even took your idea and tweaked a lot of the ideals put out in yours. Like, I made my mountains more prominent as an example. I did that by copying the mountain ranges twice, and one of them had the color overlay of pink, so that the other and all the other layers balanced it out to a more solid brown color.

Anywho, when Im not being tardus, the tutorial works great. Thanks a lot!

Guild Novice

The more I look at this and the more I do, the only thing that I have an issue with with this map style is that the mountains and hills aren't defined as well as I would like them to be, and forests aren't defined at all. Also my world has north being closer to the equator and there is a lot of jungle involved, so the gradient overlay doesn't really suit a jungle region. Great if you want tons of desert though, which means on the other continent of my world, I am likely to use this style for it, but until then.

Edit: As I think about it, I could just erase the areas that I wanted to be jungle in the Base layer, and build a base 2 layer in the areas where the jungle is going to come into play.
    Last edited by TheJayde; 01-11-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Hi there, I am new to your forums. Well kind of, I have been lurking for probably 1 or 2 months off and on. I am trying Ascensions TUT here and I want to say this is awesome and thanks for sharing it. I am confused I think and stopped after I got a ways into it. I got lost int he duplicate layers so I am sure that I have killed off a layer that I need. I am missing the Base [ this was merged with ocean after making a copy of the background copy and so base is gone]. I noticed that something was amiss when I got to hitting ctrl+f to drop the last used lighting effects on Land. In the beginning of the TUT I was really confused so I started writing it out as i went looking at Ascensions TUT for the guide of course and this is what I have. Maybe someone can tell me what I have done wrong? Any detailed answers on the steps would be greatly appreciated.
    Screenshots
    Steps as I understood them:
    Step 1. Layer 1= Rename to BG and render clouds on it.

Step 2. Layer 2= Duplicate layer 1, it will be called BG 1 Copy.

Step 3. Layer 3= Create new layer, Click EDIT>Fill set to 50% gray. On layers list click on the dropdown where it says normal and select hard mix. Rename this layer to Base.

Step 4. Select BG 1 Copy and start painting. {Grab a big airbrush and at the top of the screen reduce the flow to 10%. I start with the Airbrush soft round 300 and use smaller airbrushes as needed. Use black to define the ocean and white to define the land.
    }

Step 5. Duplicate BG 1 Copy and name it Ocean. Select it and Base then right click and select link.

Step 6. now you want to Merge them. Click layers>Merge or ctrl+e.This is going to leae you with Base. [Rename to Ocean?]

Step 7. Select>Color Range. Click the eye dropper and click on black, set Fuzzyness to 200. Click ok. Now click Delete. Now deselect ctrl+d.
    **NOTE to Photoshop Elements users: If you are using Photoshop Elements then you will have to use the Magic Wand tool and click on a black pixel somewhere then delete and deselect. Hide the “base” layer and click on the “ocean” layer. **

Step 8. Duplicate this layer and rename it from Ocean Copy to Hills. Now select Filter>Render>Difference Clouds, then hit ctrl+f to do it again and duplicate it to call it Mountains.

Step 9. Hide the Mountains layer. Click hills then Filter>Noise> Add Noise 5% gaussian and monochromatic.

Step 10. Click on the Mountains layer and then Filter > Render > Lighting effects = use the following settings:
    Light type: Spotlight
    Intensity= 25 Full
    Focus= 100 wide
    Properties--
    Gloss= -100 Matte
    Material= 100 Metallic
    Exposure= 0
    Ambience= 8 Positive
    Texture Channel = Red
    Hight= Mountains 100
    Click ok

Step 11. Hide Mountains layer and select Hills. And then
    Filter > Render > Lighting effects = use the following settings (there are 5 omni lights all with the same settings...to add a new light click on the light bulb):
    Change light type to Omni and change Intensity to 6 full and leave the rest the same as is. Move the center of the circle to the lower right corner of your map.

Step 12. Hide the Hills layer. click on Ocean. Duplicate it and rename to Land. Hit ctrl+f to repeat the last lighting effects again.
    Last edited by Nokomys; 01-17-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast