Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Gidde, I'm new to the Guild and am nearly finished with my first map. This map was made in GIMP, and for the most part, was created by means of your tutorial. I want to thank you fro taking the time to write up this tutorial. I have only a fledgling understanding of GIMP, and none at all of Photoshop. I sincerely doubt that I would be able to do a conversion of Ascension's Atlas Style on my own. You have earned "rep" in my book.

Cheers,

Arsheesh.

(Oh, almost forgot; here is a link to my map):

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...8ish%29-Style!
    Last edited by arsheesh; 01-20-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Wooo, first post. Alright.

So, I'm having a little trouble with the tutorial so far. Step 17, in fact. I can't seem to figure out how to do the lighting on the "hills" layer right. Any tips?
    Last edited by Blackknight1239; 01-28-2010 at 05:27 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Uh no, not really. Everything is in the tut. If you throw up a screenshot maybe I can see what's going on...it's usually a case of a missed step elsewhere.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ascension, it just occurred to me that I never properly thanked you for your tutorial. Your work is inspirational in and of itself. Yet the fact that you are willing and take the time to share your techniques with the rest of us has impacted this community tremendously. I can find traces of your style in many of my favorite maps on this site. My own map is 90% or more a derivative of your Atlas style. I, and many others here are indebted to you. Thanks for this and your many other amazing tutorials. Here is a tiny bit of rep to add to your already immense fame.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

No prob, man, you're welcome...and thanks. That's why I'm here - help teach and learn and it makes us all better...one map at a time.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Blog Entries

arsheesh,

I heartily agree! Ramah was my inspiration, but Ascension, through his tutorials and commentary, is my mentor.

Jasmine coast is one of the most visually stunning maps I've ever seen.

Thanks Ascension!

Thanks, Imm. Y'all are too nice.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Okay, first of all: Thanks Ascension for this great tut and thanks Gidde for your translation to GIMP!

After a few abortions & retries I finally made it quite far through the tutorial, but now I seem to be stuck.

In the GIMP version by Gidde it reads:

34. New layer (Transparency), name it Adjust2. With Adjust2:
    a. Airbrush tool, using colors from step 22 to paint extensions of desert/plains
    b. Layer mode to Hue
    c. Add layer mask (Channel: Coastline)
    But step 22 reads:

22. Hide Mountains, Snowcaps, and MountainColor layers.
    Umm, huh? Can anyone help me out?

Yeah, that stifled me too at first. I eventually concluded that this was a typo and that what Gidde meant was not "step 22" but "step 33" since the colors in step 33 were the only ones that I could find mentioned throughout the tutorial that actually made sense for deserts and plains. Yet I might have been mistaken about this, and if I am, I hope someone will correct me. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Oh snap, that makes sense. Thanks mate.

Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast