Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

No problem. Oh, and be sure to post your map when you get a chance.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Hey I'm running through this tutorial (on PS CS2), and at step 20 I've run into a problem. I've got 2 ocean copy's and no base copy. 1 is just a white area where the land is and the other is a clouded area covering the same land area. This led (I think) to step 21 resulting in just the color red covering the land area. So which ocean copy is supposed to be base? Do they get merged? Does one get deleted? Any help is much appreciated.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You missed a step somewhere and I think I know where you are what we're dealing with but I need a screenshot to be sure.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Alright, well I think I've gotten that straightened out somehow. Now I've gotten to the mountain stage and I've noticed a few things. I've got a couple wierdly colored areas where differently colored zones interact. Also my mountains seem patchy and small in general and the polar and equatorial areas seem plain and undetailed. I don't know if this is normal for this stage, but it doesn't look similar to the tutorial's screenshot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	21938

Looks right on track to me...it's been so long that I've done this that I can't be sure at only 16.7%
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Okay I'm up to the rivers step, and everything looks good except for one issue. In the tutorial pictures there are small bumps all over the terrain which I'm lacking, and there is a definite lack of terrain around the polar and equatorial regions, everywhere else has nice terrain features, but these areas are just solid colors.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen1.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	21946

The problem with the white is that the airbrushing is solid...you should have reduced the flow on the airbrush tip (it's at the top of the screen, default is 100% but you should use 10% and slowly build things up). For now, what layer is the white airbrushing on? Take that layer an either change the blend mode or reduce the opacity.

Okay, so i checked the airbrush level, and well it does cause some issue, its effect isn't that great. Stripping down all but the land and ocean layers, it looks like the original gradient overlay for the land has created this problem. In the gradient areas colored olive, there is nice detail and it looks good, but the desert and polar areas are just solid white/papyrus. I tried fiddling around with the layer and I just can't seem to get it so that both the details and the colors are there. Is there maybe a better color selection so that the detail shows up? I tried fiddling with that as well, too no good effect.

Edit: I think I've solved my own problem here. Instead of creating the desert and polar areas alongside the temperate regions by method of the gradient overlay, I created a solid gradient overlay of olive green, which preserved the land texture and detail everywhere. I then created desert and polar areas using the appropriate colors and the 10% flow airbrush on the 'adjust 2' layer, which also reduced detail, but only where I decided it could be reduced.
    Last edited by xandder; 02-08-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Oh no... This toturial will keep me up all night now, and THANKS buddy. Thats some nice work. )

Gidde and Ascension,

Thank you so much for doing this. I was going through Gidde's Gimp translation last night and I got everything looking pretty good. The only problem is the tutorial uses a technique for generating random mountain range locations. While it appears to be possible to remove parts of them, I can't figure out how to simply draw them in. I am creating the worldmap for a D&D campaign that is currently in progress, and my players have already explored through some very specific mountain ranges. Any ideas on techniques for replacing the random generation through cloud layers with one that results in the same look, but in a pre-planned layout?

I should note that I tried applying Rob A's technique from his regional map tutorial, but I couldn't get the styles to mesh well.

Also, W00T post 200 on this thread!

Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast