Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Work In Progress...which is pretty much EVERY map I'll ever make....
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

aaaah...BINGO :-)

Guild Apprentice

Fixed rivers (thanks for catching that) w/ stronger, more pronounced mountains, and one with the sat mountains from a different tut of yours.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continent_rivers.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	29353 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continent1_sat.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	29354

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, I know my mountains aren't the best but the main thing is that you learn a simple technique that has a lot of variables to it. I teach you how to walk but it's up to you to learn how to run, so to speak. What that means is that you have some basic knowledge and you can now take that and try a bunch of different stuff to produce new and interesting things. If you never go beyond this then, cool - you have a nice lil map; but if you like to experiment (like I do) then you can do all sorts of things and have some fun.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like the mountains as-is. Just used them in a map in fact.
    M

Ascension wrote in Atlas Tutorial:

8. Click back on the “ocean” layer (on the layers palette) and duplicate it. Grab a big airbrush and at the top of the screen reduce the flow to 10%. I start with the Airbrush soft round 300 and use smaller airbrushes as needed. Use black to define the ocean and white to define the land.
    Hi Ascension,

In the step above, when creating the oceans and landmasses can I use a fill-adjustment layer - threshold - then with the burn and dodge tool create them instead of brushing them in per your instructions. I ask because I find this method to be very quick and I have better control over the shapes I create. I wonder though if there is a specific reason for using a brush that will impact the look of the map later on.

Thanks for your help.

Raic

The problem is with the Base layer...it's all gray. It should be white land and black ocean, like your current ocean layer. So the mistake came earlier. I suspect that you got confused on the layers. The 50% gray layer should be set to hard mix, then do the airbrushing, then merge those layers together and you get the cow-spots of black and white. That layer, then, is renamed to Base layer. You select the blacks and delete them leaving a white landmass on the Base layer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Yeah I figured out my mistake and removed my post with the screen captures. All good now. I think I got the technique down and I am plugging away at creating maps with it now. Thanks for the help and the fantastic tutorial. Just by working with it I have learned a lot of new methods for creating maps that I will be using outside of Atlas mapping.

No prob, man. Happy mappin.

Guild Member

Here's my attempt, I think I did alright..

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast