Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ascension,

I see! Well, it's all good. After doing some extensive playing around with the map, I was able to ameliorate both the color issues and the too-prominent bevel. I appreciate all of your help, nonetheless!

Right now, I'm moving on to your volcano tutorial. I mean, hey--what would an Iceland-like map be without some volcanic activity, no?

TCM

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That tut is a lil confusing so you might need lots of experimenting with it. Someday I'll rewrite it to fix it but think of it as more a general idea than actual step by step.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ascension,

If I have any problems with it, I'll let you know! I think I should be okay, though. I was lucky enough to have one of my mountains appear with a very prominent (and obvious) crater on its peak. As I scan over your tutorial, it seems to me that having that is half the battle.

TCM

Guild Applicant

Hey there, new to the Guild!

This is a fantastic tutorial, and after some effort and struggling with the continental shelves a bit, I'm almost done. However, I've run into a problem now that I want to add that thin black stroke around the Land layer. Instead of drawing said stroke properly, the effect is instead placing what looks more like a color overlay over the ocean (i.e. what's outside the layer). I have no idea why this is happening, though I realize missing a single step along the lengthy process can bring nefarious consequences later on... I must've done something wrong along the way.

There are a lot of layers and colors interacting so my advice would be to make a duplicate of the Base layer, move it to the top, set the fill to 0, and then add a stroke layer style.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Guild Applicant

That still creates that bothersome overlay instead of a proper stroke.

If it's on the very top of the layer stack there should be no interference whatsoever since there are no other layers above it. My only guess is that the base layer has a bit of blur to it and not precise and crisp.

Guild Applicant

I don't think there's any blur, since I don't remember the tutorial requiring such... Anyway, I probably botched something along the way. It's not a big deal at any rate.

I've been tinkering with the ocean layer and derivatives, making it darker and more ocean-like. In addition to that and testing with less opaque (and extended) shelves, I fiddled with patterns to try and give the surface some texture. The latter's more apparent on lighter areas of the water. I don't know if it should be that way, realistically, but here's the result...

EDIT: Added a tiny bevel effect on the shores on the second picture, to detach the land a wee bit further from the ocean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maptest_water.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	33948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maptest_shores.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	33950  
    Last edited by ShadowBlade; 02-27-2011 at 01:10 PM.

As to patterns, it all depends on the blend mode and/or opacity of the pattern affecting things below it and whatever may be above it affecting it. Bottom line - yes patterns may look odd at times with my style because I don't use them very much.

Great tutorial, I find some new things for myself. Keep it coming (new awesome map-making secrets).

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast