Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There are a lot of layers and colors interacting so my advice would be to make a duplicate of the Base layer, move it to the top, set the fill to 0, and then add a stroke layer style.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Applicant

That still creates that bothersome overlay instead of a proper stroke.

If it's on the very top of the layer stack there should be no interference whatsoever since there are no other layers above it. My only guess is that the base layer has a bit of blur to it and not precise and crisp.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Guild Applicant

I don't think there's any blur, since I don't remember the tutorial requiring such... Anyway, I probably botched something along the way. It's not a big deal at any rate.

I've been tinkering with the ocean layer and derivatives, making it darker and more ocean-like. In addition to that and testing with less opaque (and extended) shelves, I fiddled with patterns to try and give the surface some texture. The latter's more apparent on lighter areas of the water. I don't know if it should be that way, realistically, but here's the result...

EDIT: Added a tiny bevel effect on the shores on the second picture, to detach the land a wee bit further from the ocean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maptest_water.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	33948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maptest_shores.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	33950  
    Last edited by ShadowBlade; 02-27-2011 at 01:10 PM.

As to patterns, it all depends on the blend mode and/or opacity of the pattern affecting things below it and whatever may be above it affecting it. Bottom line - yes patterns may look odd at times with my style because I don't use them very much.

Great tutorial, I find some new things for myself. Keep it coming (new awesome map-making secrets).

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Lemme know if you have any problems
    I tried the "borders-part" of this tutorial to get some nice-looking borders on my map, but after all that marking and deleting...nothing! What gives? I dont know how to explain more, I did all the steps and I filled each one with white. Didnt want different colors, but nothings there when i link and merge.

I'd apreciate any help, any atall.
    Thanks

I'll need a screenshot to diagnose.

Guild Applicant

My second attempt at a map. My first being from Tears tutorial, which was a big help in getting me more aquainted with the PS ins and outs.

My map.

I don't know why, but I just keep messing up somewhere along the line. It seems like I have too many layers, or something. I've included a video that mostly goes step by step so you can let me know what I did wrong. I stop when I get to the colour gradient, since its way too disastrous to continue.

http://youtu.be/WYDMGXZr0LM

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast