Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I couldn't see the layer stack in the video as it is too small but I figured out how to go full screen (yay me, I learned a new tech thing today - I'm very tech illiterate) and I think the problem is with the layer of 50% gray. The 50% does not refer to 50% opacity but to true neutral solid gray of 128, 128, 128 (where black is 0, 0, 0 and white is 255, 255, 255). The next step is to set the blend mode of that layer to hard mix - you only get that blend mode with Photoshop CS and up; PS7 and below do not have it. Then you put an empty layer underneath the gray layer and use low-opacity or low-flow airbrushes to define your land (don't use soft round brushes or hard round brushes as they will create an edge while an airbrush has an edge that fades out completely).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Got it.

There ya go. Might want to reduce the size of the giant lakes but that's just my own opinion.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Guild Novice

@Gidde or someone who understand gimp better than i (and that's very easy!):

first step of the tutos:

1. We need to make a channel for our caostline.
    a.Rename the background layer to ocean (double-click layer name to rename)

but i don't know what is the background layer, when i run gimp there is no layer!

Default Background Layer

Have you created a new document yet, or simply just opened GIMP? Once you open GIMP you can create a new document by going to the File menu and clicking "New". This will bring up a pop-up window that will allow you to select the parameters of the new document. Once you click "OK" you should get a new white canvas layer in GIMP (unless of course you selected another background color). In your the "Layers" dialogue of your "Layers, Channels and Paths" doc, you should now see a white layer entitled "Background" (see the attached image). This is what Gidde is referring too. To rename it, simply double click on the title of the layer and type in the new name. Hope that helped.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Background Layer.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	36752  

Good sir, this is an amazing technique. I learned things doing this that I can take to all the other aspects of my digital art. I have one question. Is there a way to take an already sketched out map and use this technique?

I have a client who wants me to do the map for his campaign world, and has given me a sketch with where mountain ranges, deserts, forests, and such go.

1. Is there a way to color the "land" layer by hand so I can put the proper terrain features in?

2. Is there a way to force the Difference clouds to cluster in particular places (so I can have hilly terrain and mountains in predetermined places)?

Thank you in advance.

Also, here is my first go at your style.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maptut.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	36988

Where you have those adjustment layers above the land layer, just make a new layer and paint whatever colors you want wherever you want. You don't even have to use the gradient overlay, if you don't want to, and just paint everything by hand...it takes a lot longer but that's up to you. If you want to force the terrain into a preset map then make a new layer above the difference clouds layer and use black and white airbrushing to darken or lighten the terrain. Lighter terrain will render as mountains. Once you have things how you like then you can proceed.

I'm having problems with the Gradient Overlay using CS5.

I create the first one using the little 'fx' button, but then I can't create anymore. If i do it my add-layer style (or some such) i applies the gradient not on the land mass (as it does the first time) but over the entire layer (in fact, it creates a new layer each time). I am either missing something here or am doing things wrong.

No idea there, I don't have CS5.

Hello,

I am a total beginner with PS I DLed the PS 5.5 trial just to try this tut. Do you know why I can't render lighting effect on any layer let alone the mountain layer. The lens flare and lighting effects are not selectable. Also before that step adding noise to the hills, I was not able to select the monochromatic box.

Thanks,

Dubya

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast