Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

2 reasons come to mind: 1 you're using photoshop elements or 2 you need to be in 8 bit mode and not something higher. 16 bit mode and higher chews too much memory so it won't work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Help

Hello. Umm I am having the same difficulties as Dubya and I do indeed have Photoshop Elements. Is there some way to fix the monochomatic/lighting effects problem that you know of or should I just skip it and move on?

Also I just want to make sure I'm doing everything alright so far. I feel a bit unsure on my first go at things.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map1.gif 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	37965
    Last edited by Mesphia; 08-21-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Lighting effects always outputs black and white, the color comes from later steps. As for what you have so far, there's a lot that needs correcting. First, the painting you did needs to be done with an airbrush tip and not a soft round tip. The soft round and hard round tips give you the circular effects while the airbrush tip is much more subtle, especially if you lower the flow to around 10%. Also, you need to be in brush mode and not pencil mode. Second, as for the effects, it's not the same. The effects window you have showing looks more like a combination of various other photoshop filters and not the actual lighting effects filter (elements does not have lighting effects filter that I am aware of - my old copy of elements doesn't have it). Third, doing this on elements will produce vastly different results and the programs are similar but elements is a stripped down version of photoshop. You might try downloading Wilbur (free) or Bryce 5 (free) or Terragen (free version) and run your grayscale image through that to get the mountains to look 3dish then import it back into photoshop for the following steps. Something about the layers seems to be wrong but I don't have access to the tutorial right now to go over it (lost everything in a crash 2 weeks ago and I'm putting things back together slowly). In the end, you won't get the same result as in the tutorial because the programs and filters are different. I think there was a conversion of my tut for elements but you would have to go back a few years when searching the tut section.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Alrighty. I didnt think it looked right. Thank you.

Name:	Atlas tut 2nd.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	666.3 KB 
ID:	38613

Hey guys, just thought I'd say a massive thanks for this tutorial and all the support in the following threads. Thought you may want to see my 2nd attempt at a map for my new campaign using it and the advice given. I was completely new to PS before I started having always had access to it I have wanted to learn for a long time and these beautiful maps have inspired me to do so. Thank you so much and I hope to contribute more in the future.

Any advice or criticism on my upload will be greatly appreciated too, think my coastlines were a little pixelated and I have only just finished the initial stages of the inner glow part so they need tweaking but otherwise I'm very happy with my results so far.

Cheers

Looks like you did a great job. Only thing I would tweak is that nation border up there in all of that ice, scale it back to encompass the green, for sure, but less of the ice.

Long time lurker. Just wanted to thank you Ascension for this guide. I'm a novice to map making and PS, so this has been a breath of fresh air.

This is the second map (much better than the first attempt). I made it for a buddy of mine for his D&D game. Still a WIP. I'm waiting on the names for all the cities and landmarks before they get entered in. Anyway let me know what you think and/or if you have any tips!

Name:	rtsSh.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	529.0 KB 
ID:	39033

Default quick help

Hey guys,
    This is my first post to your awesome forum and by the looks of it this is the place to start.
    I am a first time PS user and i have cs5
    I am having trouble with step 8 right after you create the copy of ocean and set it to grey 50% and name it base. I get something similar to your picture. but after...
    it says click on ocean and duplicate it then get your airbrush and define the land mass and ocean. do i do that on the base layer? because if i try and brush on the ocean copy layer i cant see any changes under the pure black/white pic. I also didnt understand your explanation on how to 'link' layers. my link chain button is greyed out.
    Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Loving the site already
    pandi

Stopped being lazy and finally got through this tutorial. I think i did pretty well for a first time PS user.

Name:	EscaNoVillages.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	39411

Yep, looks pretty good. I'd suggest going to the shelf layer and use a low-flow eraser and erase some of the stuff in the ocean just so that it doesn't look so busy.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast