Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Ascension,
    Thank you so much for this tutorial. I have done a couple of very large scale maps with it, Though I think it might be better if I did separate continent maps. I was just curious what the scaling was? In step 51, you have lat/long lines drawn at every 200 px. What would the degrees be?

Hi,

I was trying this tutorial tonight but I'm having trouble with step 21. When I do the five color gradient overlay I only get a grey selection. No color shows up. How do you do the multiple colors? just do the gradient overlay over five times?

I'm in RGB color mode.

21. Ctrl-click on the “base” layer (in the layers palette) to load it as a selection (in newer versions of Photoshop you have to ctrl-click on the thumbnail in the layers palette). Select > Inverse then hit the delete key then deselect. Add a layer style of gradient overlay; we’ll use 4 colors with 5 stops as follows: color 1 at the 5% position is flat white, color code FFFFFF (rgb 255, 255, 255); color 2 at the 35% position is a dark olive green, color code 405018 (rgb 64, 80, 24); color 3 at the 60% position is the same dark olive green; color 4 at the 85% position is a dark flesh, color code DAC094 (rgb 218, 192, 14; and color 5 at the 100% position is a papyrus, color code F0E6BE (rgb 240, 230, 190). Set the blend mode of the gradient to hard light with 100% opacity. Next we’ll add a layer style of outer glow: use a light blue, any will do for now and you can change it later but I use 40C8FF (rgb 64, 200, 255). Set the blend mode of the outer glow to screen at 25% opacity and a size of 11. If you want a lighter gradient then add a layer style of color overlay of white and set the blend mode to soft light and then turn down the opacity until you are happy with it.
    Thank you for this great tutorial and my apologies for not being able to follow your directions.

Siby

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Sorry for the delay in posting ... between the tablet temporarily going haywire and how darned hard the continental shelf was to translate, this part took a while.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get that shelf to look right (again, differences between ps-bevel and gimp-map). Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcome.

As always, we have a PS shot following Asc's tut to the letter (or trying to), a gimp shot showing the translation, and a pdf for the steps followed.

I know this post is almost 2 1/2 years old now, but is there any way those PDFs you mention in this post and a few previous?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

did they disappear? i have a copy i think, but my interwebs got knocked out by a lightning strike last night so it'll be a couple days before i can get it uploaded (can't attach from the phone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ok, I've added the Gimp translation PDF to the top post in the thread after reading through the thread and making sure Ascension had intended for that to happen (and yeah, he did say that at one point). Unfortunately the palettes and such that I had developed got lost with my recent hard drive wipe

I loved this style so much, I made a document to present it with more shortcut keys and such. I think it can help people learn shortcuts in Photoshop and such (I learned a lot just writing it). You can find it here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Style-Tutorial

Guild Applicant

This looks intimidating, but this weekend i'll give it a try.

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Ascension,

I am actually using Kindari's re-worked version of your tutorial, but I had a question. I have a fairly powerful computer (tri-core AMD Phenom II, plenty of RAM) and yet when I am working on a map using your method, Photoshop slows to a CRAWL. I am wondering, do you think it might be slow because of all the layer styles in your method? I like the effects, but if that is what is causing the huge rendering times I am thinking it might be better to find other ways to get the same effect.

If you don't have any idea, I guess I will just have to experiment. From working with Gimp, I know there are ways to get similar types of effects by simply stacking layers and using different filters. Although, I'm not sure that PS has the same filters as Gimp...some are the same, but oddly enough sometimes Gimp can do things that Photoshop can't, even though PS has a lot of great features and a lot of automation that Gimp doesn't have.

Anyway, I will play around with some things and if I find other ways to get the same effect, that don't slow PS down so much, I will post them.

wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Quote Originally Posted by wisemoon View Post
    snip
    I have this same problem. The resolution of the actual file i believe is 1000x1000 so not too large and i have created images that were much larger.

As an amateur PS user, I am pretty embarrassed to admit that I got stuck after shaping the land and water when I'm supposed to link and "merge down" the layers... lol

When happy, copy this layer and click on the “Base” layer. Link the “Base” and “Ocean Copy” layers together then merge down.
    Which layer am I supposed to select and merge, base or ocean copy? They are linked but when both are selected there is no option to "Merge Down." Using CS5.1

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast