Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Instead of selecting both, right-click on the "top" one. Merge down should then be an option in the right-click menu.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Phae O' Brien's Avatar

First post on the forum and I already need help!

I've downloaded the pdf of this tutorial and am trying to do it justice, but there is only problem I can't seem to find out how to work around. I already have designed the lineart of my atlas on another PSD file and I'm not keen on straying from my original landmasses and oceans for something completely random that this tutorial offers. So, I was wondering if there is a way to incorporate my own lineart in a layer somewhere somehow and create the same effect on my atlas.

Thanks a lot for an amazing tutorial!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Sure there is! Instead of using clouds and a hard mix layer, just import your lineart coastline, and do a fuzzy select to select the sea. Then fill the sea black, invert your selection, fill your land white, and continue from there.

Guild Novice

GIMP? How do you import an image from CC2 Pro/CC3 into it and modify the image? Is there a basic "cartographer software user's guide" to GIMP? I would love to be able to add things to/from maps as necessary. As I understand it,

1. You save the file in an extension that GIMP understands (.bmp, .jpeg, etc.)
    2. You open this file in GIMP
    3.. How do you select what you want to alter?

The tutorials are over my head - they are not sufficiently simple (I may be thick, too); I will have to do the contrast by hand, line by line, if necessary. I appreciate all the guidance I can get!!

Sorpaw

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Awesome amazing tutorial

So obviously this tutorial produces a fairly large scale map. Does anyone have any good estimates as to the scale of the maps in terms of miles per pixel?

Nice work! Good colours

Default Adding Hills/Mountains from Scratch?

I don't know if he's still around, but I'd just like to thank Ascension for this tutorial. It was my first attempt at a map (and one of my first real ventures with Photoshop) and it came out brilliantly after only a day of work.

I had one question I was curious if anyone could help me with. I was wondering if there was an easy way of editing the mountain and hills after the process is completed. Say, I'm done, but decided I wanted to add a little something here, remove something there, etc. Removing is easy, I know - just erase the hills, etc.. Adding... seems to be a little more complicated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy442 View Post
    I don't know if he's still around, but I'd just like to thank Ascension for this tutorial. It was my first attempt at a map (and one of my first real ventures with Photoshop) and it came out brilliantly after only a day of work.

I had one question I was curious if anyone could help me with. I was wondering if there was an easy way of editing the mountain and hills after the process is completed. Say, I'm done, but decided I wanted to add a little something here, remove something there, etc. Removing is easy, I know - just erase the hills, etc.. Adding... seems to be a little more complicated.

Thanks!
    Hi Siggy,
    Not sure if you're still interested, but minutes ago I posted my first map using this tut: http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...tml#post256318

For my badlands area, I used a variation on the tundra section of the tut.
    1. Create a new layer and draw a black area over where the new mountains go.
    2. Magic wand select the black, then contract and feather the selection.
    3. Select the mountain layer and copy/paste to create a new layer.
    4. Again, Magic wand select the black, then contract and feather the selection.
    5. Select the original mountain layer and click the layer mask button, make sure the mask is bracketed and paint bucket fill the selection with black. This will non-destructively remove the old mountains from the area.

If you want entirely new mountains replace "step 3" with this...
    3a. Filter > Render > Clouds, and then, Filter > Render > Difference Clouds (x2), and apply the layer effects (overlay and bevel) from the tutorial. Voila new mountains in a limited area.
    ... then do the remaining steps above to knock out the old mountains. Of course you'll have to do the same with the hills too! So, yes, it's not quick.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Beautiful work. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637 LastLast