Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

First time here and glad I stumbled upon this site and your tutorial...i had made a map before coming here here and it looked like my 7 year old did it...so thanks for that.

Only thing is though that when I do the border portion of the map and I try to select one country, it selects the whole landmass borders and all. I went back and redid the borders layer thinking that might be it, but it still does the same thing...any ideas?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Are you using the 'magic wand' to do the selection?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Are you using the 'magic wand' to do the selection?
    I am indeed using the magic wand...I just don't understand what the deal is

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

hmmm... not sure, you could try using one of the other selection tools instead and see if that works. I'm sure Ascension will drop a post in here before to long, he's really good about responding to questions regarding his tutorials.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm pretty much indisposed tonight...watching my nieces, so I might not get into this until tomorrow. I need to try to replicate the problem first then see what changes I made that made the problem and then tell ya what not to do.

First, I need a screen shot of the whole screen so that I can see the layer setup as well as the map. Second, my suspicions are that something is either wrong with the layer or the settings on the tool are different (ie: something like "contiguous" is checked). I'll look into this sometime tonight after my nieces have gone home and will try to have an answer for ya before midnight (cst) but if I don't then I will have one for ya sometime tomorrow before dinner.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

here it is...you didn't say to put everything in folders, but i assure you that they are still in the correct order. and thanks to all who have responded! also, i have included the version without the 'country' layers shown and i must say i happy with my first real attempt at a map. oh and i tried it with contiguous on and off...same effect. also it shows that the border layers have a blend option on them...they don't...it just says that because near the beginning, i applied an effect to the 'base' layer and then removed it...don't know how to make it not show the fx icon when there are no effects selected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_PS Layout.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	14225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arnan 2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	411.8 KB 
ID:	14226  
    Last edited by saundersc01; 06-18-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

OK from what I can tell your borders layer looks right...it should just be a single line to make a border. First delete all of your country layers except for one. Ctrl-click on the border layer (to load it as a selection) then click on your country layer and hit the delete key (to erase the border line) then deselect. Your countries should now all be split up. You can now use the magic wand tool to select a country, create a new layer, fill it with whatever color that you want, then deselect. Then repeat the magic wand/create new layer/fill with color/deselect process for each country. Hope this helps. One thing to note is that the one country is still connected to the polar ice cap so you might want to put a border across the isthmus there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

hmm that still didn't work...now when you say borders should be one line, does that mean i should be bringing them around lakes and such instead of making them end once they hit a lake?
    Last edited by saundersc01; 06-18-2009 at 10:57 PM.

nevermind...i got it working...i just used a pencil to draw the border lines rather than a brush...cool stuff

First time poster here. I have tried this tutorial few times now, and I really like it. I wonder if you have come up with any ways to do volcanoes and forests of different kinds?

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast