Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

At this scale forests are just dark green but I have a tut on volcanoes in the tutorials section. Pasis' tut on them is also pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks, I must have missed it. then I found the search function. Life is easy with a search function. Wish me luck.

Any ole shape will do the trick really. Grab a pencil, draw a shape around your landmass, fill it with the same color, then apply the bevel. I use the cloud layer to keep things random and not so hand-drawn and straight. You could also do a new cloud layer and modify it with a very low opacity airbrush (10%) using white for the high spots and black for the low spots.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Oops you replied while I was reformulating the post, oh well. I've tried rendering a new cloud layer without much success; probably just bad handpainting on my end. My problem is that it just looks too smooth with a solid color layer, like so. I'm not totally sure if I have something wrong in the settings or if's a problem with the blending due to the lack of a cloud layer now that I think about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shelfedge.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	14752  

Ok, so you want to break up that edge that looks too much like the coast and give it some randomness...right? There are three ways to go about this that are very easy:
    1. Use a pencil with a scattered brush tip and paint in some randomness in certain places. The scattered brush tip will give you lots of lil bumps along the edge but keep going over that same area and the blank spaces will fill in.
    2. Put your shelf layer (solid white) on top of a black layer, merge them, hit it with a spatter filter (under brush strokes), select-color range = blacks, hit delete then deselect, apply layer styles.
    3. Use the eraser (in pencil mode, not brush) and select a scattered brush tip and erase parts out to make it more random.

Hey, wanna say I was looking for a way to create maps and was getting frustrated until I found your tutorial, so thanks a ton.

I am having a bit of a problem though, I'm pretty new to Photoshop CS3, and I am stuck at step 29, I am having difficulty believing I am on the right track, so I decided to stop before I messed up beyond saving. My map so far =(
    Last edited by mean_dm; 07-14-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Solved my old problem, new problem now =(

What I can see is that you have a black layer covering up your grayscale clouds so just hide the black layer or delete it. Seems fine otherwise.

I think it's funny that you named the file Argh, because I know I have several maps with some variation on that name.

Haha, well, the tut is fantastic, but photoshop can take some getting used to, but I've got the hang of it now. I kind of feel a tad bit dumb for running into some of the problems I ran into lol.

Thanks for the help Ascension, everything is looking A-ok now.

No problem man, I've much tougher problems to solve. Good luck and make sure that you give us a look at it when yer done.

EDIT: due to my lack of proper terminology I have edited and re-uploaded the doc file in the first post. Open Office has bugged some of my other things so if you download this and it doesn't open properly then let me know.
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-14-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast