Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ok, this is pretty easy but if you've very little experience with Photoshop then I'll go through the Color Picker. The pic shows the screen and I'll go through what the various letters mean.

HSB stands for Hue, Saturation, and Brightness. This is one way to pick a color.

RGB stands for Red, Green, and Blue. This is another way to pick colors and is the one I use.

Lab stands for Lightness, color a, and color b. This one is difficult for me to work with so I never use it. It's supposed to mimic human vision by mixing two colors and then adjusting the lightness of the mix.

CMYK stands for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and blacK. This is another way to pick colors, mostly use in print media.

#000000 stands for the hex code value...a number that has been assigned to the various billions of colors...00000 being black, FFFFFF is white, FF0000 is red, etc etc.

In my tuts I give you the RGB numbers, so just type those in next to the respective letter. I also give the hex code and you can just copy/paste that in.

If you cannot add any color whatsoever then you might be in grayscale mode so at the top of the screen click on Image-Mode and make sure that you are in RGB mode.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	14944  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hi Ascension,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your support. I'll have to wait until the weekend again before I can give it another stab though.

Again . . . many thanks.

Dal.

Hi everyone! Congratulations for the guide its helping me a lot but im having some troubles. I dont know nothing about PS and i cant speak english very good, so im going to write what i`ve made step by step... sorry about this.

1. I create the document with your specifications.
    2. I aply the clouds. (Background)
    3. I duplicate that layer. (Ocean)
    4. I create a new layer and fill 50% gray. The layer turns to gray, aply Hard Mix (the cow effect) and i rename it Base.
    5. In the ocean layer, with the apropiate brush i draw the land.
    6. Copy the ocean layer. (Ocean copy). I link the ocean copy and the base layers and i combine them.
    7. I go to color range, set fuzziness to 200 (ive ticked the selection circle). I delete it, deselect and hide the base.
    8. I copy the ocean layer (Rename Hills). In hills i put render, difference clouds. i hit CTRL+ F. Copy this and rename it mountains.
    9. Hide mountains, add noise to hills. Aply the lighting effects both hill and mountains layers.
    10. Hide hills, i copy the ocean layer (Land). I hit ctrl+f to repeat the efects.
    11. I have the six layers in order, but its still plane! I add the colours just like in the tutorial, but its plane. no elevations.

Its like the seven step pic, but with colour. Its suposed to add colour after you get the elevations right?

Later im going to update an image, it doesent load right now.
    Thanks a lot for your time!

I'd like to see a screenshot. On the keyboard press and hold the Shift key and also press the Print Screen key. This will copy everything on your monitor into temporary memory. In Photoshop, hit File-New and then hit the Okay button...don't make any changes. Hit Edit-Paste and voila, there's your monitor image. Lastly, hit ctrl+e to merge down and then save as a jpg file and upload it here. There are some file size restrictions here (under 4.7 megabytes and roughly 5000 x 5000 pixels). Since this is a screenshot you should be just fine.

My first thought is maybe you're in grayscale mode and my other thought is that you didn't use the red channel while doing the lighting effects.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Here is the image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	14971

Here is what i ask you about the 50% gray:
    I know there are mistakes in this one, its just to show you the settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen 2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	14972

Mmm, im pretty sure that ive used the Red scale... but im goin to repeat all the process again and check out any mistake with your help.

Thanks again

Edit:

Layers:

Montañas- Mountains
    Colinas- Hills
    Tierra- Land
    Oceano- Ocean
    Fondo- Background

Just in case.
    Last edited by Mror; 07-20-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Ok, this is an easy fix...well, easy for me since I don't have to redo the work The problem here is that your ocean layer is solid black and white. It should look like the background layer (grayscale clouds) with some light airbrush painting of black in the oceans and white in the land. I have attached a screenshot showing my layer stack so that you can see the difference between mine and yours. Your gray layer looks fine.

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	542.8 KB 
ID:	14976  

GREAT! it works jaja... thanks a lot.

Err, how i move the layer the 200 pixels for the longitud lines?
    Im searching in the layer menu, but i cant figure it out.

There are two ways, one is easy but time-consuming and the other is faster but more technical.
    1. Click on the Move tool (looks like a pointer). Then on the keyboard, hit the -> key (right arrow) 200 times.
    2. Click on the Zoom tool (magnifying glass), zoom in all the way to 1600%, click on the Move tool, in your image, click, hold and drag it over 200 pixels (you will need to have the ruler visible...View > Units & Rulers, set it to pixels).

Guild Novice Facebook Connected DethinBlack's Avatar

Alright, So. I just went through your tutorial. It was a little difficult to understand, but I think that was due to my own Nitwittery. The problem I had was layers. I lost which layers were which, but no biggy really, I mainly figured it out. I do seem to be having a horrible time with the mountains. Everything else looks really good, but I have HUGE snow caps at the top of each of my mountain. Any Idea why?

Name:	Ascension's-Tut.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	15054  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I haven't used Ascensions tutorials in quite awhile, but it may have something to do with the Lighting Effects Filter settings you used.

Ascension can give you a better answer next time he logs on.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast