Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looks good!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Awesome tutorial. I learned alot from this.

Here is my attempt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arduna.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	9692  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Spot on...see how easy it is to be a mediocre mapper
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Question Hard Mix?

Hi, Ascension.

I'm working through your tutorial (actually just got started) and I have a question already. I'm currently using PhotoShop Elements. In Step 4, I don't have an option for Hard Mix. Is there a compatible choice (I've tried them all and I don't get the black and white "cow" picture like you show) or do I need the full-blown PhotoShop?

Thanks.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Is there a compatible choice (I've tried them all and I don't get the black and white "cow" picture like you show) or do I need the full-blown PhotoShop?
    Not sure if this will produce the exact same results, but if memory serves me you could:

copy the layer again
    Image > Adjustments > Posterize (levels: 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    I'm working through your tutorial (actually just got started) and I have a question already. I'm currently using PhotoShop Elements. In Step 4, I don't have an option for Hard Mix. Is there a compatible choice (I've tried them all and I don't get the black and white "cow" picture like you show) or do I need the full-blown PhotoShop?
    You need to use two layers instead of the Hard Mix, one 50% grey and set to Dodge and the other should be black and set to Burn.

Ascension.... you are nothing short of a miracle worker! Thank you so much for this great tutorial! This is my first time using Photoshop for a project (other than cropping pictures of the kids and grandkids lol) and the steps were easy to understand.

My original post was from quite a while ago... WIP - Argontath. Between the time of my computer burning out and picking up a decent laptop I trolled the forums on my iPhone and gleaned what I could from the work you and others have done. I must have read and re-read your tutorial a hundred times.

I worked out a preliminary map and played around with the tutorial until I was comfortable with it. Then I started five maps (of the six continents) at the same time and followed the steps 3 or 4 at a time. Once I was on the third map I was more comfortable and working much quicker. I took to heart what you said about the tutorial not being a bible and to play around with the settings. It took a bit of courage, but I screwed with the continental shelves and the effect looks a bit different. I am happy with the effect. I am going to sit down and figure out the river system now. Now that I am somewhat comfortable I will most likely re-do the maps in a much larger size to apply more detail, but I wanted to share what I have done so far.

Lantier (1100x1100) is an undiscovered and uninhabited continent to the north of the continent of Khaitaer-Ypriss. Perhaps there are ruins of an ancient civilization?

Tathis (2600x2600) is the eastern continent and one of the two primary continents for my world (in terms of where the campaign characters are from). The western regions are explored and inhabited. the far eastern and far southern reaches are unexplored territory.

Kaitan (1200x1200) is a continent to the far south east and unknown to the 'civilized' world. Its inhabitants are a feral race hell-bent on conquering whatever lands they find. They are just starting to explore the world in which the players live... and will not hesitate to make their presence known.

Khaitaer-Ypriss (2600x2600) is the western continent and one of the two primary continents for my world (in terms of where the campaign characters are from). The northern continent of Khaitaer is inhabited in the western and eastern regions. The central region is ringed by mountains that holds a vast swampland-jungle. The southern continent of Yppris is largely unexplored territory and inhabited by bands of tribesman.

Ascalon (1600x1600) is an unknown continent to the far northeast. It holds thriving and ancient civilizations that are largely disinterested with outward expansion and focus more on their maintaining their borders with the other countries in their part of the world.

Thank you again Ascension for everything you have taught me!

~Val
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent - Lantier.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	261.3 KB 
ID:	27359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent - Kaitan.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	27358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent - Khaitaer-Yppris.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	27357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent - Tathis.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	27361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent - Ascalon.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	677.7 KB 
ID:	27355  

Last edited by Valtharius; 07-23-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Placing Maps
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Argontath Map Finished Thread

My Flash Website! - Welcome to Argontath

Default Amazing Tutorial

I loved this tutorial so much, I made a script for cs4 to get it done quicker. The steps are in order of the tutorial and the stops are for the hand drawn parts. I also added an action that creates a height map from the image. Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial!

[ Action Script Download ]

Ascension,

I used your tutorial last night and came up with what is the makings of a really nice map. So thanks!

Of course...there's a "but..." attached. When I was first drawing the map, I made the mistake of making my landmass far too large (there's really little more than slivers of ocean surrounding it). Now that I'm at the point here I want to attach a compass rose and legend to it, this is a real problem. So my question: Do I need to basically start from scratch, or is there a way that I can add to the surrounding water easily?

Thanks in advance,

TCM

I loved this style so much, I made a document to present it with more shortcut keys and such. I think it can help people learn shortcuts in Photoshop and such (I learned a lot just writing it). You can find it here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Style-Tutorial

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast