Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: March 2018 Challenge: The Siege of Tarynth

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

I added some minor shading with drop shadow after getting not getting anywhere with my tablet. Shading remains one of those things that I can do with pencil and paper but haven't mastered digitally. Added some more notes, too, with major buildings now named.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siege of Tarynth v7 (sm).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	105707

Some 450 years past, the kingdom of Shannara was plunged into a second decades-long civil war between the great houses of Weston and Wickham. In 910 A.C., the forces commanded by Lord Wickham sacked Tarynth, capital of the realm and seat of House Weston, and Lord Janos Wickham installed himself as king. Driven out of the city but not conceding defeat, forces commanded by Lord Philip Weston and his allies laid siege to the city in 912 A.C. House Weston was aided by rebel forces inside of Tarynth, who had been subjected to vicious and depraved treatment by the self-styled King Janos and his cronies and preferred living under Weston rule. Both of the great houses also called upon the services of mercenary companies from the nearby realm of Duscany. This map shows the troop locations and planned movements prior to the final battle for Tarynth that cemented victory for House Weston.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Siege of Tarynth Fancy v5 (sm).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	105816

Nice additions !

Looking really nice.

I'd possibly try just a tiny bit more of a drop shadow on the various instruments though. To my eye they currently look like they are just cutout pictures lying on the map (Warning:I have been known to not see things correctly at times though )

This is a cool setup and the map itself looks amazing and gives a very good overview on the siege.
    But I agree with Tonquani that the instruments could need a bit more shadow. The white on the edges of the map is also a bit irritating.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    This is a cool setup and the map itself looks amazing and gives a very good overview on the siege.
    But I agree with Tonquani that the instruments could need a bit more shadow. The white on the edges of the map is also a bit irritating.
    Would you please let me know where you're seeing the white edges? I saw them clearly on an earlier draft and spent a bunch of time getting rid of all of them that I could see. I've pulled up the map on a pure black background to try to hunt down any stragglers, but my laptop monitor is not the best. And unfortunately my work desktop monitor is even worse. I can see a few specks on my phone that I'll tackle now.

Okay...increased the drop shadow and went around all of the edges (I assumed the white on the edges was everywhere). Please let me know if I missed any areas!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Siege of Tarynth Fancy v6 (sm).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	105825

I see it mostly in the upper right corner where the goniometer (?) is and on the edge between the compass and the bottom right corner. Also a little bit on the bottom, where the map and the letter are overlapping. I tried to mark it below (this is easier than to describe it) and hope this is okay for you since I didn't ask before.

EDIT: Never mind - I was too slow. It looks a lot better now and I can't see any more white edges!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siege of Tarynth Fancy_white edge.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	105826  

Thanks, Neyasha! I'm glad I got them all, but I'm really grateful that you took the time to mark them for me!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This look really superb! One crit: I think Tonquani's suggestion of a drop shadow increase was good, but now it seems TOO pronounced, like the instruments are floating. Maybe try to change the profile of the shadow based on the height of different parts of each instrument?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast