Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: March 2018 Challenge: The Siege of Tarynth

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    I added some minor shading with drop shadow after getting not getting anywhere with my tablet. Shading remains one of those things that I can do with pencil and paper but haven't mastered digitally.
    Omigosh, rite? Mind you, I'm pretty sketchy with shading in pencil too. I'm really digging the commander's table you've created.

Some of the best advice I got about painted shading involved using not-black as your color (you can try a very dark blue), and experimenting with blending modes for shade and highlight layers, like overlay.

But this map is looking great.

Cheers,
    Meshon

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    This look really superb! One crit: I think Tonquani's suggestion of a drop shadow increase was good, but now it seems TOO pronounced, like the instruments are floating. Maybe try to change the profile of the shadow based on the height of different parts of each instrument?
    Good call, Diamond. I will play around with that some more this evening. And my wife's replacement monitor arrives today, so I'm totally going to bogart her desktop computer (which she uses for high-quality photo post-production and FFXIV gaming, so I'll get a much better view than I do on my low-end laptop).

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Omigosh, rite? Mind you, I'm pretty sketchy with shading in pencil too. I'm really digging the commander's table you've created.

Some of the best advice I got about painted shading involved using not-black as your color (you can try a very dark blue), and experimenting with blending modes for shade and highlight layers, like overlay.
    Thanks, Meshon! Yes, I finally started playing around with shading on my Lite Challenge map last month, using not-black and overlays. It's something that will take some practice. I also need to devote some time to watching tutorials on how to use a Wacom Intuous tablet to its full potential. I know I'm only utilizing maybe 5% of its capabilities.

Okay, I played around with the drop shadow on the various instruments. Feedback on how it looks now is much appreciated!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Siege of Tarynth Fancy v7 (sm).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	105864

Looking very good Jen. Will definitely be giving you a vote on this!
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Looking very good Jen. Will definitely be giving you a vote on this!
    Much appreciated, thank you!

I added field commander names to some of the Weston and rebel units. Seriously minor change but I'm interested to know if you guys prefer the map with or without the extra names.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Siege of Tarynth Fancy v8 (sm).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	105914

I think this is finally done!

Some 450 years past, the kingdom of Shannara was plunged into a second decade-long civil war between the great houses of Weston and Wickham. In 910 A.C., the forces commanded by Lord Wickham sacked Tarynth, capital of the realm and seat of House Weston, and Lord Janos Wickham installed himself as king. Driven out of the city but not conceding defeat, Lord Philip Weston called upon his allies from all across the realm. They laid siege to the city beginning in 912 A.C., aided by rebel forces inside of Tarynth (including the City Guard) who had been subjected to vicious and depraved treatment by the self-styled King Janos and his cronies and much preferred life under Weston rule. Both of the great houses also called upon the services of mercenary companies from the nearby realm of Duscany, brought in by ship via Angler's Bay to the south and Freedom Bay to the west. After a great battle on 7 Kwanch 913, the Weston forces finally liberated Tarynth and people across the realm rejoiced.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Siege of Tarynth Fancy v9 (sm).jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	105982

That's really very well done. Probably your best map yet

Such excellent work, aeshnidae! It was so wonderful to see the progress on this map from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's really very well done. Probably your best map yet
    Wow, thank you, that's an awesome compliment! I've learned so much from seeing your WIP threads and the threads of other Guild members.

Quote Originally Posted by antillies View Post
    Such excellent work, aeshnidae! It was so wonderful to see the progress on this map from start to finish.
    Thank you, antillies! I've really enjoyed watching your map come together so nicely, too!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast