Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Paizo Open Call

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    So I re-read the page...

Are they looking for people to make final print quality maps, or people to take crappy maps and "clean them up" to provide to their "real" map artists?

-Rob A>
    I have no idea... I was somewhat confused by that myself. I don't think they are looking for people to do final versions which would be printed. I was wondering if perhaps as you said, they were looking to get an intermediary map, perhaps even a 1st draft based off of a text description that they would turn over to their final cartographer/artist.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I read it that they have some place or design they want to have mapped and need a rough copy or maybe several people offer possible designed and then the best is made into the mag artwork by somebody like an art editor. It was that term "turnover" which I am unfamiliar tho.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That confused me too... so I sent them some of my finished ones from here, still no word back from them - not even "thanks for your submissions".
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ah I had completely misread what he wanted.

Reading it again, it looks to me like this:
    Professional artists are expensive and won't have the time to translate text into maps, so they are looking for someone who can produce a map which the professional can work to.

If that's right then mapping style etc. is irrelevant - all that is required is that the map is accurate in terms of scale and placement of features. Dots would be fine for cities and towns and presumably upside down Vs would be fine for mountains etc.

I don't really see why he's sending crits about the mapping style (other than to be helpful).

I've sent him some finished maps (Beastlands/Stormlit Monastry/Glass ocean), but what I might do is send him the map and notes of the Richard Morgan novel competition that I did the map for. The accompanying notes to the map explain why I chose to put what where and page references which (IMO) would be more helpful to the guy who's actually going to draw the thing.

There is a messageboard on the Piazo website but this question hasn't been specifically asked: Thread here but you may need to register.

On the messageboard, James says this:

I'm looking for raw talent. I want to see new maps; the four I posted are examples of map turnovers we use here for our adventures (I used maps from my own and Wes's adventures because I wasn't comfortable showing off maps of other authors whom I didn't have time to get permission from). I want to see new map turnovers of new stuff that look as good or better than the four sample maps.
    and this
    The sample maps we posted included keyed maps and unkeyed maps... but in the end, since these maps are for mapping skillz only and not adventure stuff, spilling a bunch of encounter location tags all over a map isn't really necessary. But labeling streets and rivers and major geographical features and continents and cities and the like is probably a good thing. Not required, though, but it DOES show that, as a mapper, you're keeping in mind the fact that parts of your map will be obscured by text. By this extension, it's best to include a title for the map, a scale, and a compass rose... if only so you don't fill the map so full of details that there remains no place to put those three elements without covering something important up.

OK I've posted the question on the Paizo messageboard.

Hi James,
    I'm one of the mods at the 'Cartographers' Guild', which is an online fantasy mapping community, where your open call has been greeted with much excitement. I think you've already been deluged with maps from us.
    We're a little confused about what it is you are actually after from the description in the 'Open Call' page.
    Are you after a full, accurate graphical representation of textual descriptions which is passed onto a professional artist to draw (in a house style)? - in which case the style of what we would draw would be largely unimportant and possibly confusing to the artist who finally draws the map, so I would guess that the simpler the map style the better for the artist.
    Or are you after a particular style of mapping?
    I'd be happy to pass on your reply to the cargographers' guild community, or if you would like to reply in person, (in which case you will be welcomed profusely and probably treated as a minor diety!) there is a link to the thread in question below.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...7007#post47007
    Kind Regards
    Ravells
    I'm going to be away from tomorrow until Thursday with doubtful access to a computer, so if someone can keep an eye on the thread and repost the answer here, that would be appreciated.

That was quick! James responded thusly:

What I'm basically after at this point is just to look for folk who can render maps that are clear, concise, and interesting. The style isn't important, since we already have cartographers we go to regularly for final maps and currently aren't producing more maps than our cartographers can handle... The maps I'm looking for would be rough drafts for those cartographers; map turnovers that don't see print themselves, but show the cartographer what to do.
    Maps that are TOO polished or photorealistic or "finished" looking aren't really useful in this case, as a result. That's why I posted the four example map turnovers. They're detailed and clear and concise, but they're not to the standard of quality that Paizo prints in RPG products.
    So yes; the simpler the style, the better, I guess. But when you get to something like a big city... don't confuse "simple style" with "simple map."
    This looks like a job for vector maps!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    That was quick! James responded thusly:

This looks like a job for vector maps!

Yep... CC/CD or Fractal Mapper with some simple stylistic effects would be pretty good match for speed vs talent.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

*snores* Wh.. what is Paizo? Stop making a ruckus you guys. Trying to get some rest over here
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm wondering what the pay scale is for a turnover artist/mock-up artist. You gotta read the story/description, make hay of what's written, then visualize it, sketch it up, then send it off to their hired pro who gets the oohs and ahhs. Sounds kinda thankless, but hey, money is money and ya gotta get yer foot in the door somehow I guess.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast