Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Falls Park Greenville SC map 2016 [2018 edit]

Guild Expert

This is awesome, I love the trees but I think reedy river falls is my favorite part.

Just... wow...!

I'm especially in love with the river & rocks and the grey/color balance works so, so well !
    Really like your use of the white too, and how some parts of the map are escaping from the border : so smart to give some energy to a modern map.

I never had the opportunity to go in Greenville but surely you made me feel it would be a good idea :o)

I so love those maps of yours ! That's the best I can do in the constructive comment department, it's splendid !

Wow, so I just figured out that Google Maps has streetview in this park, and it really felt like I was walking though your map! Everything is just spot on! Amazing work John!

Splendid . The river is awesome and the parc is very attractive.
    The grey & white of the buildings and streets is a really clever way to make the park popping up even more.
    Yup, this is really great!

Round 1 - Go....
    Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    The problem with real world map is that people get used to stuff like google maps, they forget doing a map from scratch is a damn long work
    This is true. I also think a lot of clients are making a comparison between general illustration and map making, which, with real world subjects, is more akin to technical illustration - more time consuming, exacting, and pays at a higher rate due to the accuracy involved/required. That's not to say general illustration can't be complex and time consuming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Great project. I love it. Even the buildings without colour seem to match everything perfectly. I guess you had fun with shading so much trees ?
    Thanks Voolf Haha, yes, lots of trees... not as bad as some I have worked on though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Wish i could see an info map from you strolling in a park one day. It would made my day for sure The lovely detailed flowerbeds and rock formations along the river look especially spectacular on this map!
    Thanks Abu
    They were very particular about the landscaping being accurate, as that is one of the things the park was awarded for.
    It made the process a lot more time consuming, as i had to hunt down a lot of reference that they didn't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That is pretty damn amazing, John. The painstaking amount of detail is just so well done - at no point does it overwhelm the map. You really do have some mad skills.
    Thanks Diamond

Round 2 - Go...
    Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    This is awesome, I love the trees but I think reedy river falls is my favorite part.
    Thanks Kacey
    The river was the main part I was concerned with on this map.
    I knew the falls area would be scrutinized by many who go to the park and wanted to render it as well as I could.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Just... wow...!

I'm especially in love with the river & rocks and the grey/color balance works so, so well !
    Really like your use of the white too, and how some parts of the map are escaping from the border : so smart to give some energy to a modern map.

I never had the opportunity to go in Greenville but surely you made me feel it would be a good idea )
    Thank you Beee
    I love doing that with things creeping over the edges
    Like they are little graphic rebels.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I so love those maps of yours ! That's the best I can do in the constructive comment department, it's splendid !
    Thanks Thomas
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Wow, so I just figured out that Google Maps has streetview in this park, and it really felt like I was walking though your map! Everything is just spot on! Amazing work John!
    Thanks Dan
    I wish they would have had that when I was doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Splendid . The river is awesome and the parc is very attractive.
    The grey & white of the buildings and streets is a really clever way to make the park popping up even more.
    Yup, this is really great!
    Thanks Ilanthar

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

I've always enjoyed seeing this style of map for a real life settings. I wish there was more maps readily available like this. Your attention to detail amazes me as always.

I know its not the style you were going for, but it reminds me of the old AutoCAD maps from the mid to late 00's I saw strewn about my dad's office.

I love looking at the maps when I go to a new park or stop at a trail head. Usually they are fairly simple and often not very helpful. Sometimes you get a real nice one, but I'd go to this park just because I saw this map online, Very nicely done.

After checking on Google, I find that your map looks better than the real thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast