Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: To Draw and Paint Maps, Revisited [2018]

I'm not sure if I like Pixelmator (for me the interface is very confusing), but I'm now playing around with the trials of both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer and so far I'm pretty impressed. I like the intuitive interface and compared to Gimp it runs so fast and smoothly on my Macbook! Also the tablet seems to be working a lot better than with Gimp. Not sure if I'm going to buy one of them (and if: which one), but I'm glad the article made me aware of all the alternatives. Thanks a lot!

Neyasha, I have Affinity Designer, and it's very good (though I find there are still many things that Inkscape does better), but I've no regrets about buying it. I don't own Affinity Photo, but I'd second Kacey's comments about it. I don't think Affinity intends it as a drawing app, and any painting tools it has are meant for photo touch-ups, and not really for the creation of original art from scratch. I'm sure it could be used for painting if you really wanted to, but I think there are much better tools available. I'd take a look at Clip Studio Paint for drawing/painting, or try Krita (it's free, so you've nothing to lose!) I think many people have found Krita to have much better tablet support than Gimp.

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter onez's Avatar

Wow, I had no Idea there was so much good stuff out there!
    Thank you John!

Nice rundown. I've been messing with Affinity Designer for mapping recently, as I can't justify the Adobe price-tag. I'd love to see examples of maps others have made with some of these alternatives.

I've only just found this. Very nicely done J.Edward. I'm going to have to check some of these out. I'm particularly interested in Milton.

Hmn, I didn't know that Clipstudio can be used for mapping but I am not surprised. I think I'll try it and see the difference from photoshop. Thanks for the list, I found some that I could recommend to some artists in my Discord Server (it's a general art society tho) who would like to try their hand in digital graphics software.

Guild Novice

What if you want to hand draw a map what tools would you need

I thought I'd give Medibang a try and have just downloaded it. I have had some experience of Coreldraw (showing my age) and CS2 (not much better), so thought I ought to be able to follow the tutorials. First one: how to draw a square and a circle. As far as I can tell, I followed their instructions, but I could not get it to draw the outline of a square. Solid square yes, outline no. If I can't even manage to follow the most basic tutorial, what hope is there? Does anyone here use Medibang? Is it more user friendly than appears at first?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12