Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: To Draw and Paint Maps, Revisited [2018]

Default Article: To Draw and Paint Maps, Revisited [2018]

Thanks for this interesting article!

I have a long love-hate relationship with Gimp and I'm tempted to give Pixelmator and/or Affinity Photo a try. The main reason I still stick to Gimp is not only that it's free, but also that there are loads of tutorials here - and sometimes you can work with Photoshop tutorials as well. Does anyone have experiences with Pixelmator and Affinity Photo in this regard?

Guild Expert

This is great J! I've started playing around with some of the apps I hadn't heard of before, thanks for the list.

Neyasha, I used pixelmator on the iPad quite a bit before I had Photoshop, it's pretty good though I'm not sure about the desk top version. The iPad version wasn't great for painting I used it mostly for selecting and they have a nice liquefy tool. I would use procreate for painting which I love (procreate is my absolute favorite painting app) then pixelmator for making adjustments.

I also gave Affinity Photo an honest try and I absolutely hated it, it's good for editing photos and making adjustments and that sort of thing but for painting absolutely not. If I were only editing photos and nothing else I think it's useable but I would never recommend it for painting, it's just not there yet.

I've also used Paint Shop Pro for maps; it has many of the same features as Photoshop, at a fraction of the cost. (The list price is $99, but if you're patient, they tend to offer pretty steep discounts just before they release a new version.)

Thanks, kacey! When it comes to painting I love Artrage - so mostly I'm looking for layer styles, masks, filter, etc.
    As there are free trials for both Affinity Photo and Pixelmator I will perhaps try both of them.

Very useful article! I used medibang on my phone and it was aweful. The problem is not much the software but also the size of the screen, it is a serious limitation unless you have the big ones that don't fit in the pocket. It is useful to take written notes or to draw concepts but not much else.

Thanks for this article. I haven't heard of some of these apps, but it's always nice to have new things to try, especially on Linux.

I'm glad people are finding it helpful. I was surprised by some of these apps when I ran across them.
    There are some really cool options out there.

Thank you J.E.

I never heard of some of those. I will check them out

Thanks a lot! It's more than helpful : I would never have heard of Krita without your previous one.
    I'm actually very impressed by the number of available softwares... and I almost never heard of those except Corel Painter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast