Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Coral - From Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

I think i got it. You've beveld the layer haven't you?! Combined with the shadowing on the texture it gives the impression of a cliff face...
    I think the iso like texture of the forest adds to the effect.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That may be it, and it's not my usual forest texture - I'll take another look at it later. I'm supposed to be doing work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Map OK - let's try this version instead

OK - replaced the forest texture (went back to the one of the ones I usually use), and replaced/played around with the hill and mountain textures so that they match what I put in the mini-tut I created.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Coral4.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	9740  
    Last edited by Steel General; 01-30-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It still looks like cliffs to me and I think the problem is the pattern itself (that's the problem with relying on patterns) and that doesn't really look "mountainey" to me, it looks like something you'd see in a rocky canyon or cliff...all cracked like that. What I'd suggest is maybe shrink the size of the pattern so that the cracks aren't so large and dominating and use something different on the top layers (in your method) with more emphasis on gray or white.

But in reality, there are many places on earth where the various strata of earth have been pushed and folded and turned sideways like this, especially in Scotland (I think) where the science of geology was basically started with some farmer dude back in the late 1700s (or 1800s, I can't remember) who had rock formations like this on his farm near the coast...saw this on the Science Channel, a show called "How the Earth Was Made". The problem is that this place wasn't a mountain, it was on a flat and rocky coast, but it has an interesting look nonetheless.

Nevertheless, I had a go with my usual mountain style but set the layer's mode to linear light (instead of the usual hard light) to preserve some of your pattern but give it a lil push...hope you don't mind. Think I might try this on some of my own stuff

Name:	Black Coral4 - Asc mod.jpg 
Views:	1870 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	9757  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

No, I don't mind at all - if something I've done is useful in any way (even just as a stepping stone, etc.) then great.

It's the same basic patterns I've been using though I normally add a couple more layers. I think the real problem is that my "style" doesn't really work all that great on long narrow strips, where the pattern is more obvious. It seems to work better on smaller, rounder areas.

I could actually get rid of the entire left side of the image. The city and the barrows are the most important things.

Map Final Tweak - time to put this to bed

Ok, played around with the hills some more, pretty happy with the way it turned out. Gonna call this puppy done and move it over to the finished maps thread.

Name:	Black Coral5.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	9900  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12